Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hunt68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 05:35 AM
    Probability of 3 out of 4 independent events occurring
    I have 4 golfers playing together in a foursome. I know the probability of each making a par or better on a given hole:
    A-player: 60%
    B-player: 50%
    C-player: 40%
    D-player: 30%
    What is the probability that any three of these 4 golfers will make par or better on the hole?

ANSWER: Need help on how to calculate this. Is it just adding together the four probabilities of the possible outcomes where 3 players shoot par or better? Namely: P(A&B&C)+P(A&B&D)+P(A&C&D)+P(B&C&D) = .12+.09+.072+.06 = 34.2%. Is this it or am I missing something?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 28, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt68 View Post
    Is it just adding together the four probabilities of the possible outcomes where 3 players shoot par or better? Namely: P(A&B&C)+P(A&B&D)+P(A&C&D)+P(B&C&D) = .12+.09+.072+.06 = 34.2%. Is this it or am I missing something?
    Remember that for exactly 3 players to make par the 4th player must not make par. For example the probability that A, B and C make par and D does not is P(A&B&C&not D) = (.6)*(.5)*(.4)*(1-.3) = 0.084. By leaving out the (1-.3) term what you have calculated is the probability that players A, B, and C make par without caring whether D makes par or not, so it includes the possibility that all 4 players make par. Hope this helps - try it again and post back with your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability- How to tell the difference between combination, independent events etc. [ 4 Answers ]

On my exam my teacher isn't going going to state what type of problem it is. He is going to put questions based on probability, independent-dependent events, mutually/non mutually events, pemutations and combinations. These questions are all going to be mixed up and I have trouble identifying the...

Probability.likely or unlikely events? [ 2 Answers ]

A Media rental store rented the following # of movie titles in each of these categories: 170 horror,230 drama,120 mystery,310 romance,& 150 comedy. If a person selects a movie to rent, find the probability that it is a romance or a comedy. Is this event likely or unlikely to occur? (AND explain...

Probability in two events [ 3 Answers ]

If the probability of Team A winning against Team B is 91%. And the probability of Team C winning against Team D is 95%. What is the probability of Teams A and C both winning? (Calculation and answer please)

Independent probability [ 2 Answers ]

Did I do this right? 5.62 – A certain airplane has two independent alternators to provide electrical power. The probability that a given alternator will fail on a 1 – hour flight is .02. What is the probability that (a) both will fail? (b) neither will fail? (c) one or the other will fail? Show...

View more questions Search