Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WWalker Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches
    Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem.

I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion sensors so that when I go down the stairs the upper sensor will turn the light on, and when I go up the stairs the lower sensor will turn the light on.

I have two Leviton PR180 switches, they are signal pole, 3 way switches. The only wiring diagram supplied by Levition show wireing the motion switch to a regular 3 way switch. They don't show how to wire two PR180 motion sensing 3 ways.

I have found wiring diagrams for Levition commercial use motion sensor switches that show how to wire two of them to control one fixture, but the wire colors on those switches are different.

The PR180 has 4 wires, Black, Red, Green, & Yellow/Red. They supply a jumper wire that they say must be used for 3 way installation, but I can't figure out which wires need to be connected with the jumper, as the provided diagram shows connection the jumper to the common terminal of a regular 3 way. They do not identifiy a common terminal on the motion switches. I have wired it according the diagram that came with the switch and one motion sensor switch is working the other is not. Can these switches be used in this application or do I need the commercial grade switches?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2006, 01:14 PM
    I believe the sensors will work , one taking the place of each 3 way.

Seems to me the yellow is the common.

Green will be the ground to connect to the bare, or green wire in your outlet box, or the metal outlet box.

Black and red are the travelers.

Also, you can call Levitons tech support at 1-800-966-2276.

I have used them many times and the are usually helpful. Since they do not say the PR180 can be used to take the place of two 3 way switches, only Leviton can tell you.

Feb 20, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Levition is closed today for the holiday so I could not contact them today.

I have done more resurch on this and I don't think you can use two 3 way motion switches together.

I looked again at the diagrams on their web site and they show two regular motion switchs powering one load. There is a note that says either sensor can turn the load on. So I think this is the application that I need. The PR180 3 way motion switch can be used as a regular switch so I don't think I will need new switches.

At first this seemed like an application for 3 way switches, but with more thought I am starting to understand why it wouldn't work.

Tonight I will try to wire them as per the other diagram I found, and provide an update tomarrow.

Feb 21, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Problem resolved!

At first this seems like an application for 3 way switches (two switches controlling the same load). Not when using motion sensor switches. All you need are regular motion sensor switches. I happen to have 3 ways but they can be used as regular switches they just have and extra wire.

Here is how I did it. Ran 2 wires w/ ground from panel to first switch box, 3 wires w/ ground to second switch box, and 2 wires w/ ground to fixture box.
    As I said the switch has Black, Red, Green, and Yellow/Red wires. Then it is straight froward, hook black to black, Red to Red, Green to Green, White to White, the Yellow/Red wire is not used in this case. Next switch box, same as first but the Red wire powers the load so hook Red wires to the Black going to light fixture.

Works like a charm and the wife is happy to be able to see going up and down the stairs.
    RichP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 05:53 AM
    WWalker,

I am trying to do the same thing with 2 PR180 s in my basement stairwell.

You mention on your first switch hooking white to white and not using the yellow... there is no white wire on the pr180, do you mean hooking the white wires from the serivice box run and 2nd switch run together?

My wiring is already in-place (and not by me) so I'm having a little difficulty getting it going rich with 1 PR180 and 1 3-way switch. The PR180 turns the lights on/off but the regular switch does nothing. I used the jumper.

Thx!

PS: I called Leviton and they were not helpful... told me to call an electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by WWalker
    Problem resolved!

At first this seems like an application for 3 way switches (two switches controlling the same load). Not when using motion sensor switches. All you need are regular motion sensor switches. I happen to have 3 ways but they can be used as regular switches they just have and extra wire.

Here is how I did it. Ran 2 wires w/ ground from panel to first switch box, 3 wires w/ ground to second switch box, and 2 wires w/ ground to fixture box.
    As I said the switch has Black, Red, Green, and Yellow/Red wires. Then it is straight froward, hook black to black, Red to Red, Green to Green, White to White, the Yellow/Red wire is not used in this case. Next switch box, same as first but the Red wire powers the load so hook Red wires to the Black going to light fixture.

Works like a charm and the wife is happy to be able to see going up and down the stairs.

Mar 25, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichP
    WWalker,

I am trying to do the same thing with 2 PR180 s in my basement stairwell.

My wiring is already in-place (and not by me) so I'm having a little difficulty getting it going rich with 1 PR180 and 1 3-way switch. The PR180 turns the lights on/off but the regular switch does nothing. I used the jumper.

Thx!

PS: I called Leviton and they were not helpful... told me to call an electrician.
    You say you want to do this with two PR180's, but are trying to make it work with 1 PR180 and 1 regular 3-way? Do you plan to replace this regular 3-way with the 2nd PR180? This is what I would recommend, it works great.

You mention on your first switch hooking white to white and not using the yellow... there is no white wire on the pr180, do you mean hooking the white wires from the serivice box run and 2nd switch run together?
    Yes.

Mar 27, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Yes. I want to use 2 PR180's.

I have 1 PR 180 in place where 2 cables(one 2 wire & one 3 wire) come into that box and it is able to turn the lights on/off.

One 3 wire goes to my 2nd switch. I believe the 2 wire goes to the light.

This remaining 3 way switch had one 3 wire cable coming in(red black white & grnd)... and even though I jumped it as per the instructions, I want to replace it with a 2nd PR180.

Thx.

You say you want to do this with two PR180's, but are trying to make it work with 1 PR180 and 1 regular 3-way? Do you plan to replace this regular 3-way with the 2nd PR180? This is what I would recommend, it works great.

Yes.

Mar 27, 2006, 11:15 AM
    OK. If you are going to replace the regular 3 way with another PR180, this is not a 3 way switch application. Seems like it should be but it is not. This is simply a case of two regular switches controlling one load. You don't need 3 ways with 2 motion switches because you never have to turn the lights off manually the timer does that for you.

So like I said you will not use the Yellow/Red wire on either switch.

First box:
    Black and White form panel
    Black, White and Red, run to second box.
    Black and Red, on switch.

Hook 3 Black wires, from panel, switch, and run to second box together. Hook 2 White wires, from panel, and run to second box together.
    Hook 2 Red wires, Red switch wire, and Red run to second box together.

Second box:
    Black, White and Red, run from first box.
    Black and white, run to load.
    Black, Red, on switch.

Hook 2 wires, Black from first box, and Black switch wire together.
    Hook 3 wires, Red form first box, Red switch wire, and Black wire to load together.
    Hook 2 wires, White form first box and White to load together.

Either switch will turn the light on, and one or both must time on to turn light off.

I hope this is as clear as mud:)

Mar 27, 2006, 12:01 PM
    WWalker,

Thanks a lot!

I had just figured it out after reading your 1st reply to me (before you posted this one)

My wiring was already in place and I had a 2 wire coming from the light with that white as hot(and that black going back to the lights black).
    Once I understood that my colors were different and I read your reply: I figured out we are just wiring these as 2 single pole switches connected to the same load.

Now I am playing with the LIGHT setting to get it perfect. I noticed a few times the light didn't go on. I have both set to go off in 15 seconds.

Thanks again,

Rich

OK. If you are going to replace the regular 3 way with another PR180, this is not a 3 way switch application. Seems like it should be but it is not. This is simply a case of two regular switches controling one load. You don't need 3 ways with 2 motion switches because you never have to turn the lights off manually the timer does that for you.

So like I said you will not use the Yellow/Red wire on either switch.

First box:
    Black and White form panel
    Black, White and Red, run to second box.
    Black and Red, on switch.

Hook 3 Black wires, from panel, switch, and run to second box together. Hook 2 White wires, from panel, and run to second box together.
    Hook 2 Red wires, Red switch wire, and Red run to second box together.

Second box:
    Black, White and Red, run from first box.
    Black and white, run to load.
    Black, Red, on switch.

Hook 2 wires, Black from first box, and Black switch wire together.
    Hook 3 wires, Red form first box, Red switch wire, and Black wire to load together.
    Hook 2 wires, White form first box and White to load together.

Either switch will turn the light on, and one or both must time on to turn light off.

I hope this is as clear as mud:)

Mar 27, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Glad you got it working.

The light level adjustment takes some time the get it just how you want it.

Enjoy!
    Dave135 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Thanks WWalker for your assistance! Couldn't have done it without you as the directions that come with the switch(es) are woefully inadequate. I am not familiar with electrical wiring, but I took my time (2 hours) and most importantly mapped out a diagram of your Mar 27, 2006, 05:15 PM Post. It didn't look right in words, but as I mapped it out it looked like it would work. It has worked. Thanks again.
    Ps Neither PR180 OFF switch works, but we don't care about that since they turn themselves off.
    Ps2 Happy wife at the top and bottom of the stairs.
    evolkmar Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2008, 09:35 AM

To all of you that are confused. When u are using motion switches on both sides you loose the need to turn off the light. So forget 3 way, all you need is then to turn light on and they both need to be connected parallel.
    MaxnMoose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 06:14 PM
    This site is awesome! This thread almost 3 years old and I found it by doing a search on the net. With a little thinking (it hurt) about the posts of WWalker and Rich, I was able to install 2 PR150 (same as PR180, but only 150 degree vs. 180 degree, and $6 each cheaper) to control 2 light fixtures automatically. I installed these for my dogs to go down to the basement to use the dog door. One switch is located at the top of the stairs, the other at the bottom after a 90 degree turn. Wasn't sure at first if these were going to work with the 3 way switch setup but after reviewing and drawing out my set-up, works like a charm.

My panel wires go into the light fixture first and than out to the switch boxes, so I had the same problem as Rich, with ensuring I noted which wires were which, in this case, white coming from the fixture was hot.

I have now registered and tabbed this site as a favourite as I figure I'll be needing the site again as I'm a new home owner. Max and Moose will appreciate the light to help them down the stairs!

Quote Originally Posted by RichP View Post
    WWalker,

Thanx a lot!

I had just figured it out after reading your 1st reply to me (before you posted this one)

My wiring was already in place and I had a 2 wire coming from the light with that white as hot(and that black going back to the lights black).
    Once I understood that my colors were different and I read your reply: I figured out we are just wiring these as 2 single pole switches connected to the same load.

Now I am playing with the LIGHT setting to get it perfect. I noticed a few times the light didn't go on. I have both set to go off in 15 seconds.

Thanks again,

Rich
    arog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichP View Post
    ...Now I am playing with the LIGHT setting to get it perfect. I noticed a few times the light didn't go on. I have both set to go off in 15 seconds....
    Rich, did you ever get this working clean? I just installed two PR150s according to the same wiring described here, and one of them isn't working consistently.

- top of the stairs turns on the light every time.
    - bottom of the stairs turns on the light about 50% of the time -- other times it flashes the green LED, but doesn't power the load. It sees me! Why not turn on the light? Hmm.

Just wondering if having two motion sensors together works for other folks.

Thanks...
    ARog
    MaxnMoose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
    I have the same problem. These things are not consistent. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Eventually though, they do trigger the light with continuous movement. I experienced the green light on the sensor sensing me, but the light doesn't always come on.

I figure it's just the quality of the sensor. I paid $30 each so I guess you get what you pay for.
    topaz107 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 10:36 PM
    In response to the answer given by WWalker, and with the instructions found on each Leviton PR180 motion sensor switch, I draw the attached schematics on how to connect 2 motion sensors to control 1 load.

I assume that you already have a 3-way circuit controlled by 2 on/off switches (the type of switch that each has 3 wires in the back).

It works well and it does not matter what colors are the wires coming from each box, just follow the instructions, label the wires, and then connect.

Some of the instructions are copied from the small brochure that accompanies each switch (Leviton PR180-xx). I do not take credit for that. Also, if you don't feel comfortable in working with LIVE ELECTRICITY, refrain from doing this by yourself.

NOTE: There is a delay in turning on the light especially if you are coming from behind the sensor. You would walk 3-4 feet after passing the line of the sensor, and then the light would come on. This is a limitation of the sensor/switch itself, not of the way is connected. You might not notice this delay if you are approaching the sensor from front.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf PR180_2_switches_1_load.pdf (30.4 KB, 4600 views)
    frost314 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 12:31 PM
    I have one light that is controlled by 2 switches, one at the front door and anther at the top of the stairs. I want to put the pr-180 at the front door so the light will automatically turn on with movement. In the box, the electrical cable has 4 wires. 1 red, 1 black, 1 white, and the ground. The pr-180 has 1 red, 1 black, 1 green, and the yellow/red. How do I wire this?
    malexander007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
    I can't thank you enough for this thread and providing the solution! My applicattion is for the top and bottom of our basement stairs. After 4 hours of switching wires and bridges, pulling my hair out and probably losing a pound going up and down the stairs, your simple solution to the problem worked great!

Thanks again,
    Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

Adding an independent motion sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to upgrade my existing exterior lighting to include an independent motion seņor and addition lighting fixture in the car port. Existing power fed through a single pole switch inside the house to an exterior light fixture next to the front entrance (2 wire grounded). I would like to...

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Questions on wiring up a Leviton PR180 Motion Activated Switch [ 1 Answers ]

Newbie here - hopefully you guys can give me some help on a wiring question. I have two boxes - box 1, which is where I would like to put the PR180, has the following wires: Hot, Traveler A and Traveler B. Box 2, which is where the normal 3-way switch is, has Traveler A, Traveler B and what I...

View more questions Search