Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleighgennaro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Why will my 1993 honda civic not crank after it gets hot?
    It runs fine until it gets hot and then it will turn over but not crank. Its getting fuel and spark. I've changed the fuel main relay, the ignition modual. Help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 12:25 PM

Turning over and cranking are the same thing. Are you saying it will not start, after it gets hot?

If that's the story, replace the ignition coil. Also, ensure you applied a thin, even coat of silicone heat transfer compound to the back of the Ignition Control Module.
    ashleighgennaro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Why will my 1993 honda civic not start after it gets hot but will turnover?
    When the check engion light comes on, what can it make not work the engion will turnover but not star?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 02:36 PM

If you are saying the Check Engine Light stays on, and the engine won't start, then ECM (computer) may be bad. Perform the K-Test, below:

The K-Test: Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate.
    volvokenny Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 02:03 AM
    Hi ashleighennaro, very interested if you were able to get your Civic started. Would it be possible if you can post your resolution? Thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleighgennaro View Post
    when the check engion light comes on, what can it make not work the engion will turnover but not star?
    The check engine light will normally be on if the key is in the run position but the engine isn't running.
    Can you find out if the engine has spark or no spark?
    You may find weak spark or none at all.
    Also: who is doing the diagnosis?
    rknott1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Don't know if you've solved it yet but you have a bad crank sensor and it is in the distributor. Change it and you're good to go.
    ag2barker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 12:57 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    I had 0.35 volts at the map sensor. Pulled the ECM and BAM fried cap it took the traces out and everything. You rock I'm going to drink a beer for you tonight. Thanks. You rock.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 honda civic dx crank won't turn over /start [ 23 Answers ]

I havea honda civic 1993 dx whit automatic , when trying to start I will get crank but not turn over(start) , no fuel or spark. The engine light will stay on and won't give any code when jumped. The main relay(mitzubarz-0132) won't "click" when in on position. Map sensor will get around...

Honda civic won't crank? [ 1 Answers ]

Brand new starter. Good battery. Won't even turn over. What could be wrong?

Honda civic ex 94 don't crank over [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honda civic 1994 ex I was driving one day when the car turn off on me I check the fuelpump. I check the timeing belt all good I replace the distributor,starter.still the car don't start,I check for spark on the spark plugs it was good to.now I'm woundering if it can be my ecu for that...

'95 honda civic dx won't crank [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '95 honda civic dx and it will not crank. The stater and the solenoid seem to be working, but there is not even a click comeing from either; the fuse near the battery is fine and all the fues under the drivers side seem to be okay. What else could it be, I think I check all the grounds....

My 1993 honda want crank what could it be? [ 1 Answers ]

My fuel pump want come on but if I hot wire it will come on what could it be ?

View more questions Search