Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thresher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 01:16 PM
    Kenmore washer front loader
    Hi,

I have a Kenmore front loader washer that is five years old and is now making noises (periodic squealing). I removed the back panel and it looks like the belt is rubbing into the container. Can this belt be adjusted or am I looking at replacing this machine? Love the Kenmore, but cannot afford a $400 visit by a Service technician. Any feedback/pointers on fixing this issue is appreciated.

Thank you

Thresher
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jun 3, 2006, 07:25 PM
    If the belt is rubbing on the tub, you should be able to reposition the belt on the motor pulley and have the belt follow that adjustment around the drum pulley when turned by hand. If it's the drum pulley that's rubbing on the tub, that won't be good. I have seen that before, and they got rid of it. That machine was only 2 years old. Let me know if you have further questions, and also post the model number of the machine, usually found behind the door.
    johnseb Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Unfortunately I think applguy is right. If the belt is where it's supposed to be, the drum is not turning freely. I made a living repairing washers and dryers, very difficult. When I ran into that, I threw the machine away. Easier things to fix.
    iMayco Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
    from what I've seen, the stock pulley that comes with most dryers is not a very good one, if the belt gets caught on the side it will tear it apart, you may want to look into getting the pulley with the wheel on it much safer and will reduce the chance of the belt tearing... now when you open the machine on the back end of your drum there is a gasket or liner that may have just folded over and is causing this noise, if it is not badly damaged you can just rotate the drum by hand and adjust this gasket, the noise should stop... Excuse me for not knowing the exact names of the parts but I am very familiar with fixing the older washers and dryers =]
    -Mayco Torres
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2011, 01:21 PM
    The pulley and attached parts are made of aluminum (spider gear), but the tub is made of stainless steel. This sets up an electrolysis reaction where the most reactive metal reacts with the water and corrodes. The aluminum is the sacrificial metal and destroys itself. You see this reaction used for beneficial results in galvanized metal where the zinc is the sacrificial metal and corrodes instead of the steel. Whirlpool and Kenmore front loading machines have this problem and should be avoided. (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=MTKuOqWDhkI) The engineers at the manufacturers of these products are well versed in the effects of using different metals and electrolysis and that the most reactive metal will corrode. This principle is used when air conditioners are built which is why ACs with galvanized metal in their construction don't corrode like ones which have none and only copper and aluminum: the aluminum, being more reactive corrodes very fast, especially in Florida and other coastal areas. You can go to this site to get an idea of the reactivity of metals and be able to predict the failure of a product: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactivity_series (See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW6t9mxwMlU&feature=related to see results of reactivity in products.) Look on YouTube and other sites to see how products hold up. Remember: when things corrode and fail it is known how the metals will react before they are sold to consumers. Buy a top loading machine, never a front loader. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite top loader will not spin... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite (calypso) Model#110.21062000 that will not move from the rinse cycle into the spin cycle. It will give to different error codes occassionally: 1) "LD" - long drain, 2) "SL" - suds lock. In both cases the unit appears to be draining without any difficulties as observed by the...

Frigidaire front loader [ 1 Answers ]

My basement recently flodded and I think it damaged the front loading washer I have. When I plugged it back in it seems to work, but the washer doesn't spin... it just fills with water and then nothing... no washing, no spinning.. no nothing! How can this be repaired ?:(

Frigidaire front loader not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

I've checked out the motor resistance and everything checks out to spec. except for the stator winding which reads 1.7 ohms instead of the specified .37 ohms. Any thoughts on this? The speed control board test was passing 120v until I got to the test for pin 3 of the 9 pin plug to pin 4 of the...

Kenmore front load won't do anything [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore front load model 41741142000. It will not do anything. I had a repair guy come out. He used his ohm meter to trace wiring and no problems. Then he got to the door switch and replaced it with one he had on his truck. He determined the problem was the timer. He said I could easily...

Kenmore washer woes [ 8 Answers ]

I have an old Kenmore heavy duty washer that has been so faithful till now. The washer will fill up and start aggitating. It keeps aggitating until the spin cycle, then stops... I'll move the timer a tad, and then it will continue aggitating... it will not spin or drain. Could this be the timer?...

View more questions Search