Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Need to move toilet left 1" (cast iron)
    Hello,

My current problem is I have cast iron plumbing in a concrete floor in a basement. Once the walls were finished and the new travertine floor in I noticed that the center of the toilet flange was only about 10.5" from the wall. This would make it a little tight on the left side when you set down. Front to back is fine I just need a little room left to right. It would be really nice to be able to move the flange to the right at least 1". I was able to remove the plastic toilet flange off the cast iron pipe leaving me with a 4" cast iron stub in the floor. What I need it some sort of offset flange that can attach to the 4" cast iron and allow me to offset it to the right 1" or so. Just wondering what my best solution may be. Thanks for any and all help.

James
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 10:22 PM
    There are closet flanges made that are offset, they war not the easiest things to use but with paitents can be done. I am not sure if they have this item at the Home Depot type stores, you may have to go to a regular plumbing wholesale house.

The Problem is that you hae to break out some tile and concret in the kirection that you want to move it. Not knowing what your situation is because of the platic flange on the cast iron pipe, you may have to seal and anchor the flange different than the way it is suppose to be. You can always use lead anchors or maybe something better that you can find, they come out with new stuff everyday. One word of caution, don't break the cast iron pipe off below the level of where the new flange will fit.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Hey James,

Letmetellu gave you excellent advice. They make offset closet flanges, (see image) from 1" up to 4". Get a cast iron 4 X1" offset closet flange. You may now use a lead and oakum poured and caulked joint to secure the flange or you can use a lead substitute . To check this out go to,
    http://www.waterproofingchemicals.co...intsealant.htm
    Good luck, Tom
    Madam Goodwrench Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Move toilet (cast Iron) to the left 3"
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS
    Hello,

My current problem is I have cast iron plumbing in a concrete floor in a basement. Once the walls were finished and the new travertine floor in I noticed that the center of the toilet flange was only about 10.5" from the wall. This would make it a little tight on the left side when you set down. Front to back is fine I just need a little room left to right. It would be really nice to be able to move the flange to the right at least 1". I was able to remove the plastic toilet flange off of the cast iron pipe leaving me with a 4" cast iron stub in the floor. What I need it some sort of offset flange that can attach to the 4" cast iron and allow me to offset it to the right 1" or so. Just wondering what my best solution may be. Thanks for any and all help.

James
    No Plumber am I, however in research for problem bath remodel discovered a PVC 'offset closet flange' by Oatey (#43501) - part says it will move toilet 2"....good luck from Madam Goodwrench.

Thank you to Speedball1 for all the info on moving a toilet up to 4" - which I need for a bath remodel - but who makes the part and where do I find it ? Thanks again... MG

Quote Originally Posted by Madam Goodwrench
    Thank you to Speedball1 for all the info on moving a toilet up to 4" - which I need for a bath remodel - but who makes the part and where do I find it ? Thanks again....MG
    Click on; http://www.duffcompany.com/tips/ClosetBends.pdf to find cast iron offset flanges. Good luck, Tom
    eduardoaldaraca Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 14, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Need To Brock The Old Seal To Move The Other And Put Flat On The Floor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Toilet , 4" pvc to 3" cast [ 4 Answers ]

I have a home with a basement and problems with a toilet on the first floor. I had to repair the floor because the old cast flange was leaking. I cut out The flange and around 4 foot of old cast 3" pipe. I repaired the floor and used a 4" pvc flange and 4" pvc pipe with a 4"to3" rubber boot to...

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

Join 4" PVC to Cast Iron Hub [ 2 Answers ]

I am re-routing the main sewer line that goes through the basement/crawl space of my 70+ year old house. Simply put, there are too many re-plumbs, new lines, and/or patches by previous generations. In the next months, a new kitchen and bathroom downstairs are going to cut into this patchwork 2...

Shower flange"cast iron" [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.

View more questions Search