Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wtbowman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 08:08 PM
    2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids
    I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing seems to help. I poor bucket of water in bowl and toilets drain correctly. I do not have a tree near my sewage lines. The kitchen sink is now starting to drain very slowly also.

1.) How do I locate the vents that are referred to so often?

2.) Is there a chemical/cleaner that can be used other that the useless liquid draino type products?

3.) Is the kitchen sink just a coincidence?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2007, 06:51 AM
    The vents referred to are the lavatory vents from the bathroom group of fixtures. That's the one we send a snake down to clear the lav and tub branch and out into the main. However, I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older toilets -- weak swirl, weak flush [ 24 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. Our toilets are original to the house, 20-plus years old. When flushed, the swirl isn't strong enough to completely flush the bowl. The bowl does NOT overflow, but it has to be flushed multiple times. We have very hard water where we live, despite having a regularly...

Fake zoning in two story house. [ 3 Answers ]

So I have the relatively common problem of non-uniform heating/cooling in my house and I'd like some input on how to make the best of the situation. I've put up with it for a couple years, but now, I'm at my breaking point. Basics: I have a 1600 sq ft, 15 year old, two story house with a...

Toilets don't flush at the same time [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a new house only 1 1/2 years old no basement and one story 2000 sqare feet. We have two toilets. On occasion one toilet gets stuffed and does not flush properly occasionally both tolitets at the same time do the same. Ive snaked it many times and get it work for a while, but ihappens...

Two story house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story house, 30 years old. Temperature upstairs is five or six degrees hotter in summer than downstairs. I understand that I can not zone the vents in this house. Would a variable speed A/C help? If the temperature downstairs is below the thermostat setting, can I get the fan to...

Toilets fill with water but will not flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets which are back to back on either side of a wall. I am experiencing occasional problems with both toilets flushing. I have a convntional septic system and the tank was cleaned out about two years ago before I purchaced the home. I called the company who cleaned it and asked if...

View more questions Search