Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clr22182 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Trane XL 1200 Defrost cycle failure
    I have a Trane XL 1200 Model TWX030C100A0 ser. # HO4202122 that has been a superb unit but now fails to initiate the defrost cycle. I can cause the unit to defrost by putting it into the AC mode when it frosts up. The defrost board is 21C140501G07 (WW28X0329). I have not replaced this board in the unit but this number board has been replaced in the Trane inventory by a board numbered CIB2515A. I haven't traced the location of the defrost thermostat yet but understand it is located on the lower part of the unit and connects to the circuit board by two black wires with female spade connectors to the circuit board black plastic module with male spade connectors. Is there a way to determine if the defrost thermostat is the problem or the circuit board or both (or something else)?
    Thank you,
    C. L. Rogers
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Replace the defrost thermostat first because it is cheapest. If that fails replace the board. When a board fails I always replace the defrost thermostat anyway.

The answer to your question is yes they can be teated BUT as a homeowner there is no way to be accurate. Toss the defrost thermostat into the freezer then check with ohm meter. The failure here is that the defrost thermostat is designed for a specific temperature and you cannot be that accurate by placing it in the freezer at home.
    brobob828 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2012, 08:03 AM
    My Trane TWX030C100A0 blew a hole in the compressor. Should I put in a new compressor (and other parts) or buy a new unit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Plants: Light Cycle vs Dark Cycle vs Calvin Cycle vs Cellular Respiration? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone explain to me the difference between these? I am trying to write a lab report and have no idea what I'm writing about.

Heat Pump defrost cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully my question isn't redundant. Earlier this year I changed my thermostat from a manual to a programmable thermostat. The cooling and heating aspects seem to work fine but I have noticed that during the defrost cycle the aux heat doesn't appear to come on since I changed the thermostat. ...

Buzzing Defrost Relay on Trane Unit [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan...

Spin Cycle Intermittent Failure [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite washer model 110.2497. I am looking for a second opinion. I have some knowledge of appliances but find myself second-guessing my thoughts. Here is the problem: it goes through the wash cycle fine. It drains and sometimes it spins. The lid switch is working properly. It...

Overheated Trane 1200 Compressor [ 3 Answers ]

We have a two-zoned central AC units. The compressor for the upstairs zone works normal. We are having problem with the downstair unit. The compressor some times does not start and some times trips the breaker switch. After replacing the breaker switch (40 Amps) it was running and cooling fine...

View more questions Search