Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cklaverty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2020, 09:13 PM
    Help identifying rough in plumbing
    Hi all - I am in the planning stage of finishing my basement and would appreciate some feedback on the plumbing.
    I don’t have much experience (yet, still in my 20s!) with plumbing but I need to get an idea on how I can design and frame this bathroom with what is in place. Help on identifying which piping is meant to handle toilet/shower/sink would be awesome.

The pipe in the far right corner has an outside cap diameter of 4.5”. I couldn’t get the cap off to measure, looked bigger than 3” though. All the rest are 2” and 3”.

I’ll do my best answering all questions. Would love to know everyone's guess at what their vision was when installing the plumbing.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 16, 2020, 02:10 PM
    Name:  Rough in 3.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  655.5 KB

The 4" pipe is definitely the toilet drain (see image).

I believe the lavatory drain is that 2" pipe next to the 3" waste stack coming out of the floor. This drain would pick up the lavatory drain and then run 2" full size to pick up the shower vent.

To be sure the 2" pipe I marked as a shower drain is the shower drain you'll need to uncap the 2 drain lines and pour water into the pipes. The pipe that has standing water in the drain after pouring the water into the pipes is the shower drain (the PTRAP should be underground and will hold water).

After receiving the lavatory toilet/lavatory vent the shower vent will continue full size and connect onto the FUTURE VENT (find pipe in ceiling marked FV) and vent work should be finished.

Let me know what you think...

Mark

Jan 17, 2020, 12:58 PM
    Mark,

Thanks for your response. There is a vent and water lines stubbed in the ceiling (behind me in the first picture) that I can plumb to all of these rough ins pretty easily. EDIT - This is NOT a vent and water lines.

I have attached a sketch of what I would like to do as well as a description below. Let me know what you think.

Left to Right

Large pipe against wall = Sink for wet bar
    Small pipe by framed section = Shower drain
    Small pipe by framed section = ???? ideas on what to do with this? save for other side of wall?
    Large pipe set away from wall = toilet
    Small pipe set away from wall = bathroom sink
    Attached Images

Jan 17, 2020, 01:20 PM
    Mark,

Your answer identifying the shower drain and the vent helped me a lot. I am hoping to use the 3" to the far left as a wet bar drain.

Any chance you can post a diagram of how the venting should be set up.

Thanks again for your help!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2020, 05:04 PM
    I just don't have time for that right now. I'd consult a local plumber on this and don't forget to confirm the shower drain has a ptrap under the floor.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help Identifying Plumbing Rough-Ins [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to plan a full bathroom in my basement and need help identifying what the plumbing rough ins are. There are a few capped drain pipes sticking out of the concrete, but I don't know how to identify what they are. There are also no walls around them making it even more difficult to...

Identifying basement plumbing. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, First off, thank you for providing so much information for the do-it-yourself'er! I have learned a remarkable amount about the plumbing I am looking to do by looking through the Q's and Answers here. I think I have the pipes here identified, but I would like some confirmation. ...

Plumbing rough in [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how high from the finshed floor should I rough in the drain and water pipes for a kitchen sink. I am also installing a disposal. Should the drain be centered with the sink or to the right since the disposal will be installed Thank you, Danny

Rough In Plumbing [ 4 Answers ]

This is how a plumber has roughed-in a section with a tub & toilet. I would have thought the vent would have been put on the toilet end. Please view pic... and let me know your thoughts. Thanks http://www.draftingdan.com/PICS/ruffplumb.gif

Rough in plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add a shower to a 1/2 roughed basement. It already has a toilet and sink rough. I'm wondering were to attach the shower drain, and does it need a separate vent or will the vent from the sink work. I know it needs a p trap and it will be 2" pipe. Any other suggestions would help...

View more questions Search