Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    touise4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2007, 11:03 AM
    IT career
    How would you go about starting a career working in help desk ? What is the starting salary? How long does it take to move between levels?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 30, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by touise4
    How would you go about starting a career working in help desk ? What is the starting salary? How long does it take to move between levels?
    If you mean askme help desk we are not employees, some of the experts volunteer their time and answer posts to help people.
    HelpMonkey Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Well there are many areas to work in... ISP, software, enterprise, and 1-800... you need to have a good skill level or understanding of computers... the easiest and lowest pay is helpdesk for small ISP (internet service providers)... if you have highly developed skills you can work in software, enterprise or 1-800... there are f few good resources for finding jobs... craigslist.org,, or search computer help by phone... isp generally want you to work from their local office... also networking knowledge helps...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 1, 2007, 08:56 AM
    IT is very difficult to bust into, even if one has excellent credentials and training. You almost have to start at the bottom and work for a call centre which is pretty low pay, long hours, bad shifts.

I am saying this from my son's viewpoint he is computer science technology graduate and it isn't easy getting what he wants in his field.
    wtfury Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
    IT help desk jobs are getting harder to find since most computer companies are using foreign countries for this endeavor. I used to do help desk with a national company, but they closed our office and sent all the work over to India. So if you ever call in for help and seem to get someone with a heavy foreign accent, it because that's the country where the 800 number goes too.
    Since working in the field I've talked to people in Ireland, Canada, and India.
    I wish you luck in finding an entry level job in this field.
    Starting pay in this field will depend on where you live. Best place to start though is your local college or a good technical school in your area that offers classes in computers. As for moving up the "levels", that depends on how much you know and how good you are with customers.
    My son-in-law worked at the low end for a few years until he moved up. Now he makes good money with a nationally known company. Expect to take lots of knowledge tests too. You'll be given one if they are considering you for hire. Then they'll pick the people who had the highest scores from there. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm junior at the University.and my subjects are Psychology,marketing,economics,accounting.I want to bean administrative manager.I need guidance like what major should I take? Like should I go in to Finance, Marketing or etc? Thanks.

Regarding my career [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir, I completed my bachelor in electronics and communications engineering in August 2003 from VTU, karnataka,India. My result is graded as first division with 60.325%. I am a Nepalese and in nepal right now.I want to study masters in the field related to my subject in a developed...

Career [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning to go abroad for further studies in Computer Science, where as my uncle wants me to go abroad to get a commercial pilots license. What will happen, will I go abroad? If so which course would I pursue?

Career help [ 3 Answers ]

I'm working as a support executive. I want to know how is the career growth in this field. Please reply

View more questions Search