Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    McCloud14s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Car Accident
    I was in a car wreck with a drunk driver going the wrong way down a highway. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was totaled in this wreck and I am not sure about how much I should get back. The insurance company said that they would pay me a book price on my car plus what ever was left to pay the car off, however, I was way ahead in the payments on my car. Now if I was not so far ahead, the insurance company would have to pay a lot more to pay off the car. Should I get the balance back equal to how much I had paid already minus what was due by the date of the wreck?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 22, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by McCloud14s
    I was in a car wreck with a drunk driver going the wrong way down a highway. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was totaled in this wreck and I am not sure about how much I should get back. The insurance company said that they would pay me a book price on my car plus what ever was left to pay the car off, however, I was way ahead in the payments on my car. Now if I was not so far ahead, the insurance company would have to pay alot more to pay off the car. Should I get the balance back equal to how much I had paid already minus what was due by the date of the wreck?
    You didn't say whether is was your insurance company paying you or the drunk driver's ins company? It's important. Your insurance company is not obligated to pay off your loan balance, only to pay you the actual cash value of your vehicle minus your deductible. If his / her (the drunk driver) insurance co is paying you, then they are obligated to put you back as you were, i.e. to pay you the value of your vehicle that was totaled - there is no deductible. The amount you owe of the vehicle is really not a consideration, but if you are dealing with the drunk drivers ins co, and especially if you are "upside down" on the loan (by that I mean your vehicle is worth less than what your loan balance is), I would use the loan balance as a bargaining tool and tell them you owe more than they might be offering you - probably won't work, but keep in mind, his/her ins co, wants to settle the loss and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Accident Settlement [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a car accident and in May 14, 2006 will be the limit to file. I've been working with the insurance company and they want to settle for 13,500. $6,762.75 in what they claim are medical cost and 6,500.00 for my pain and suffering. My medical cost comes out to 14,000, milage @1,095.26. I...

Car Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband Was Involved In An Auto Accident In November 2004 - He Didn't See A Doctor Until December 2004 - Per The Insurance Company He Should Have Seen A Doctor Sooner - Is That Right? Once The Insurance Company Has The Case Open - How Long Does He Have To Settle?

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

Car accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about a week ago.. Both cars have been ridden off. The other car was speeding and spun my car about . I have been to hospital for spinal checks.. And have been having muscle spasming and panic attacks thinking I was going paralyzed when I felt tingling in my feet. I have...

View more questions Search