Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dms1031 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Blower Motor question
    I live in an 8-year old townhouse and had a routine (my first) maintenance visit. The supposedly reputable plumbing technician seemed very thorough, but I wanted to be sure I'm not being taken for a ride. He put on a rubber glove, felt the blower motor & when he pulled his hand back, it was full of grease. He says this means it needs to be replaced. Is this true? I have had no problems whatsoever with my heat or A/C, but since this is also a year-round piece of equipment, I thought I'd check before telling them to replace it. My furnace is a Ruud Silhouette II gas furnace. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 06:59 AM
    First time in eight years? Mechanical equipment should be serviced annually.

A plumber? No offense against plumbers, but he should also have credentials to allow him to work on heating and cooling equipment.

If he is reputable, why the distrust? You can ask him for the reasons he reccomends the motor be replaced. Good contractors and techs do not just replace parts to rack up sales.

However, the motor should not be leaking any grease or oil. Most motors in recent air handlers have motors with sealed maintenance free bearings.

The motor may be operating OK for now, but with the grease leaking the bearings will fail , better to replace it on your terms, if you wait until a hazy hot humid weekend for the unit to fail, you will be sorry to have waited.

Jun 3, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Hi - sorry - I said plumber, but it is a company for all of those - heating, a/c & plumbing. I've decided to get a second opinion before going forward with $3300 worth of work when all I was supposed to get was a routing a/c maintenance. Thanks very much, for your input.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2006, 07:31 AM
    $3300 for a blower motot? Where do you live? I'll be right over.

Jun 3, 2006, 07:33 AM
    No - not just that. He's telling me I need a new hot water heater, blower motor & contactor & coil assembly for the a/c. Sounds like quite a bit for a young townhouse.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Not necessarily for all these sytems that have not been maintained at all, and depends on the usage over the years.

A routine maintenance also includes a good inspection and testing of the systems and reveals worn or irrepairible parts.

I cannot comment on the cost, best to collect all tech specs on the parts and ask another dealer or two for a bid.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jun 3, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dms1031
    No - not just that. He's telling me I need a new hot water heater, blower motor & contactor & coil assembly for the a/c. Sounds like quite a bit for a young townhouse.
    sorry but I think he was trying to rob you... he was trying to scare you by showing the GREASE ( fan cost about 300 or less... coil (relay)cost no more than 50) plus installation... hot water boiler+installation less than 1000
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
    If he is reporting defective parts that are good, report him.

May be worth the cost of a service call from a large mechanical firm to come in an evaluate the equipment for an objective second opinion.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 14, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Put it in perspective: did you have a problem before you called him out?
    Doesn't sound like you did, you just wanted to have things maintained. He appears to want to replace. Get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion.
    Replace stuff when it breaks I'd say, even if worst case scenario you have to have no AC for a day or so.
    Don't let repair/salesmen put the fear into you. 3300 is a ton for what he has shown you. I'd think that if that fan motor was "leaking grease" it would have froze up awhile ago or at least squealed like a pig.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2006, 09:08 PM
    I also think you were going to be taken. It is a shame to call someone out for a maintenance check and be hit with a $3000 estimate for repairs that may not even be needed, I agree with a couple of the people about that you should get a second opinion.

One other things I would like to say in some parts of the country it is not always smart to call the "Large mechanical firm" most of the service men here are paid by "ticket time" which means if they work for an hour they get one hour ticket time. But if the stretch that into one hour and fifteen minutes they get paid for two hours. Also I happen to be In the Plumbing, Heating and Airconditioning, so there are some plumbers that know just as much about Air Conditioning as people that only do HVAC work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower Motor bad or what? [ 7 Answers ]

Howdy, My FURNACE/AC blower motor has quit workng. Checked unit... the squirrel cage fan spins smoothy, no bearing noise or roughness, when turned by hand. When I turn A/C on I hear A/C unit come on but fan doesn't blow. Same when turning on heating unit. Same response in 'AUTO' or 'ON' modes....

Blower Motor wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Blower motor has 4 wires +ground. 1 yellow 1 blk & 2 brwn(one with a small copper band on it) How is it to be wired to power? Which is common and which for speed? Thanks.

Blower motor cuts out [ 2 Answers ]

The blower motor on my furnace cuts out when I turn on the AC. I have the unit set to run the fan continuously and when turning on the AC the fan quits. The motor is a direct drive to the squirrel cage. I cleaned the cage and motor and reinstalled. The motor runs but does not seem to be moving...

Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have read multiple posts about wiring for blower motors and saw one that almost answered my question. I have an old blower motor that I would like to convert to a shop air filter. I know that it is a multi-speed motor. It has 8 wire connections and are labeled as such: Power cap cap ...

Furnace blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

A friend asked help about his furnace blower emitting a screeching sound during operation and then just stopped. I went over and tried to rotate the blower by hand - resistance to free rotation was present. Removed the blower assembly and dismantled motor. No lubrication on both motor bushings....

View more questions Search