Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Jul 30, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Found 6 million year old ?
    I was told I found a 6 million year old piece of oak . It ways aprox 45lbs I was told this is rare it was found in gainsville fla. It is white and grey in color. I leave it in my flower garden could it be worth anything
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Sounds more like someone having fun with you,
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 02:55 AM
    If it is that old, it would be petrified. Is it petrified?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 06:21 AM
    I am a fossil lover. If it were me I'd email a pic of it to my local University palaeontology department to ask them if they can confirm that it's truly petrified oak.

If it is, you've got a real prize! I would suggest not keeping it in your garden if it is. It might get stolen.
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
    I'm not sure that OAK as a species even existed 6 million years ago. It may well be petrified WOOD but only a paleobotanist could identify it.

Nov 20, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I am a fossil lover. If it were me I'd email a pic of it to my local University palaeontology department to ask them if they can confirm that it's truly petrified oak.

If it is, you've got a real prize! I would suggest not keeping it in your garden if it is. It might get stolen.
    Took it to the university of fla in gainsville the confirmed it is fossiled oak between 6 to 10 million years old and it's the biggest they have seen in fla. Thank you . But it does look nice in the yard . Its to big to bring in. thank you

Nov 20, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Does anyone know what it is worth, would love to sell it to get xmas presents
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 20, 2006, 08:08 PM
    I don't suppose there are very many like it on eBay for comparison. :cool:

Nov 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I don't suppose there are very many like it on eBay for comparison. :cool:
    not this big and from fla sorry. Looked

Nov 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Okay then maybe locate a Natural Sciences museum and ask them? JUst a thought off the top of my head...

Nov 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Okay then maybe locate a Natural Sciences museum and ask them? JUst a thought off the top of my head...
    Asked the fla one the just wanted me to donate it. Lol. They could not give me price . It has been shown at some schools though.

Nov 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
    You may have to resort to extrapolating its worth off other things and list it on eBay with your best guess as an opening bid. I mean if cheese sandwiches can rake it in, who knows? Do you know what you want for it? Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Million Little Pieces [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone read this book? If so, what was your opinion of it? Did he have the right to lie and elaborate things and still classify it as a memoir?

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

16 year old misdemeanor/just found out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Just want to say thank you in advance. The question and problem I have is that I just found out I have a warrant for my arrest in Massachusetts. It is a pending conviction on a misdemeanor charge for larceny by check under $250.00. It is for two checks that were written in 1990...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search