Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kristoffersen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 10:20 AM
    Shared driveway with a fence at back part of driveway
    We have a shared driveway with our neighbours. The portion of our driveway that is closest to back of house and yard is so narrow that it is impossible to park a car there. As a result we decided to fence in that portion of our upper driveway to add to our patio area. We built the fence in approx 6 inches from the property line in the driveway and paid for the fence ourselves. I have two questions... is the side facing our neighbours considered their fence? Can they paint it or stain it? Also they insist on parking in upper end of the driveway (their side is big enough for a car) but have hit our fence twice now since last year and have not said a word about it to us. The last time was a few weeks ago and my husband was home to hear a crash and cursing. The neighbours truck is well dented on the side, our fence is well stratched up and the concrete pad around the corner pole has now cracked. What can I do about this?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffersen View Post
    ... I have two questions...is the side facing our neighbours considered their fence? ...
    With respect to each of your questions, I assume that the fence is not within their driveway easement. With that said, no their side of the fence is not theirs.

... Can they paint it or stain it? ...
    No. They may not.

... ... Also they ... have hit our fence twice now ... What can I do about this?
    That's 3 questions. :)

Sue them for the damages.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2012, 07:22 AM
    Did you get a permit and zoning approval for this fence? If you did not, it may be illegal and the neighbors may be able to sue you for putting it up.

But if you did it legally, then yes, you can sue them for damages they did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights of a Shared Driveway [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shared drive with my next door neighbour who is an 83 year old lady. The drive leads to two garages which neither of us use. This lady is very protective of her side of the drive and keeps posting "Do Not Tresspass" signs and telling us not to walk or stand on her side of the drive. I have...

Shared Driveway Maintenance [ 7 Answers ]

My question is about a shared driveway agreement. In the signed agreement it states- "the maintenance of the driveway is to be split 50/50 by both parties upon agreement" but does not go into detail about what kind of maintenance. In my case, my neighbor is saying that both him and I are...

Shared Driveway Maryland [ 1 Answers ]

Our friends in Maryland are having an issue with the neighbors. They property line goes down the middle of the driveway. The driveway is only about 10' wide so in order for 2 cars to pass on the driveway each car must move over a little and have one set of wheels off the paved section of...

Shared Driveway maintenance and rights [ 3 Answers ]

We have a house that was built in 1929 and have a driveway that we share with our neighbouts. The entrance to the driveway is wide enough for only one car but two cars can be parked at the end of the driveway. The driveway is black topped and we have been paying the bill for the black topping. ...

Shared Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we...

View more questions Search