Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawn49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Flooring recommended for a screened in back porch
    I have been looking for flooring for my fully enclosed new back porch with windows. It does not have heating or cooling other than a ceiling fan. It is 16 feet off the ground, attached to the deck and now has a plywood floor. I am looking to put down flooring that can withstand the temperature and humidity fluctuations outdoors. I have found that vinyl, linoleum, cork, bamboo and laminate are not recommended, and that the flooring adhesive also presents a problem with the temperature and humidity range. I heard about tongue and groove treated wood flooring, and was wonsering if that would have to be installed directly onto the joists(too late) or if it can be laid over the plywood subfloor.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 08:37 AM

Tongue and groove needs a subfloor anyway, so you are all set, but I have found that the new tongue and groove floors, if in fact you mean the laminate floors are very susceptible to moisture and lift at the joins. I don't care what grade it is, I have good grade and don't like what has happened in my dining room.

Why can't you use indoor/outdoor carpet which would be a lot warmer then anything else.

Ms tickle
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 08:55 AM

Is your current plywood floor pressure treated? If not, nothing is going to work.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 09:07 AM

I have to do some checking, but why not porcelin, ceramic or stone?

Vinyl glued tile (12" x 12") works fine on a slab porch, so I don't see why it would not work for yours. Expansion can easily occur at the seams.

I can definitely see where a single piece floor might have problems.

Don't even consider laminate. It MUST be kept dry, One day with a window open and it rains you may have serious problems.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 01:42 PM

You said totally enclosed, if that is correct then I see no reason that you couldn't use regular 1x4 tongue and groove pine flooring. See no reason not to install over plywood sub flooring. I wouldn't nail it very tight because of the greater swings in humidity. I wouldn't use treated material unless it is subject to getting wet from rain or snow. I would also run a saw kerf down the center of the bottom side about 1/3 to 1/2 half the thickness of the board. This will allow the bottom side to move in conjunction with the top side. The top side will move faster due to changes in humidity simply because it is exposed. This should greatly reduce cupping.
    I did that several years ago to a walkway built with 2x8s as planks. Have yet to see a cupped board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring transition to raised vinyl flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Installer put new 1/4' subfloor in bathroom last year when installing new Tarkett (vinyl) flooring, with a metal strip transition to existing hall carpet. Now we are installing 12mm laminate in hall, which with underlay, is approximately the same height. However, when the metal strip was removed,...

Building a new deck/screened porch overtop of Septic Tank/Supply lines [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, quick question. Our house we bought a year ago has an old deck (clearly not up to code) that is build literally within a foot or less of the septic tank and pump chamber (we have a tank w/ pump) and the supply lines leading from the house to the tank. We want to rip up this old deck and...

Screened gazebo [ 1 Answers ]

We would like to enjoy our deck without the pesky insects, so we thought a screened in gazebo would be the answer. We were going to screw it down onto our deck, along with anchoring the walls wherever possible, but now we hear they are only to be used for shade purposes, and should be taken...

Adding a screened porch/room [ 3 Answers ]

My husband & I are considering a screened porch to be attached (that's probably the only kind) to the house where there is a 10ft.x 18ft slab. It will be on the small side then, with a height just shy of 8ft. We are differing on the approx. cost. Before I call any companies... would anyone know...

Creating arched frames for screened porch? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a screened porch that has 3 arched frames that need replacing. They were made with 2x2 lumber originally and are literally falling apart. What is the best way to recreate these and the best way to attach these? It is a brick home and the porch arches are brick as well. The floor of the...

View more questions Search