Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    l1saraye Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Felony probation felony violation-what will happen?
    I have a godson whose mother is a convicted felon for forgery/writing checks, and is on felony probation, she was recently arrested, they had a bench warrant out for her arrest. She went to court, plead guilty, and went to court this morning to see what the charges were, they consisted of: usage of alcohol, usage of marijuana, usage of methamphetamines, failure to make curfew, failure to finish counseling, failure to make her rehabilitation... She was originally given 3 years with 2 indeterminant? What ever that means. She ended up with probation, community service, which she hasn't done and restitution that has not been paid. I know she will get jail time, but I am so concerned for her son, my godson and what will happen to him. Any thoughts out there as to what might happen> I need to make accommodations for her little boy. Please anyone with any ideas/thoughts please respond
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Most likely at the very least she will have to spend the 3 years in jail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Yes I would say she is gone for some time, first on the probation and then she will have to face new charges for the drug charges ( assuming she was charged) Are you keeping the child now. Most likely you will need to see about getting temp guardianship over the child at least until she gets out of jail. You can wait till she is sentences assuming she is letting the boy stay with you, while she is now locked up
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 04:29 PM
    She will definitely be spending some time in jail. She may be sentenced to her original 3 year sentence. She has to make arrangements for her son before she leaves and goes to jail. It is essential that she do this as trying to do anything from jail will be next to impossible to accomplish. This is where your help will be essential in making sure her son is properly taken care of in her absence.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by l1saraye
    I have a godson whose mother is a convicted felon for forgery/writing checks, and is on felony probation, she was recently arrested, they had a bench warrant out for her arrest. She went to court, plead guilty, and went to court this morning to see what the charges were, they consisted of: usage of alcohol, usage of marijuana, usage of methamphetamines, failure to make curfew, failure to finish counseling, failure to make her rehabilitation...She was originally given 3 years with 2 indeterminant? What ever that means. She ended up with probation, community service, which she hasn't done and restitution that has not been paid. I know she will get jail time, but I am so concerned for her son, my godson and what will happen to him. Any thoughts out there as to what might happen> I need to make accommodations for her little boy. Please anyone with any ideas/thoughts please respond

She has to make arrangements for her son - temporary custody, most probably.

You have no legal standing here.

And I agree with the others - she was excused from jail if she met certain conditions and did not so she most likely will go to jail.

Jul 29, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    She has to make arrangements for her son - temporary custody, most probably.

You have no legal standing here.

And I agree with the others - she was excused from jail if she met certain conditions and did not so she most likely will go to jail.

I do have legal guardianship/Power of Attorney for my godson if anything happens to her. I have been hesitant to take him from his home until I knew what was going on. He has adult siblings where he currently resides, and is safe and taken care of, but if she goes to jail for any length of time, I will then need to move him, but did not want to cause undue stress for him. Thank you all for your help and insight, every little bit helps
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:17 AM
    I do have legal guardianship/Power of Attorney for my godson in the event that anything happens to her. I have been hesitant to take him from his home until I knew what was going on. He has adult siblings where he currently resides, and is safe and taken care of, but if she goes to jail for any length of time, I will then need to move him, but did not want to cause undue stress for him. Thank you all for your help and insight, every little bit helps

A Power of Attorney has nothing to do with this situation. I would ask an Attorney for advice - if "something happens to her" might mean her death or it might mean something more comprehensive.

The Law would prevail and if a blood relative wishes to take custody of the child the wishes of the mother could very well be ignored. Of course, there would be a hearing and all living situations would be evaluated.

Jul 29, 2008, 08:21 AM
    We had an attorney draw this document up just in case this exact situation occurred. The mother knew that the odds were against her, and wanted to make sure that he was taken care of, there is no family fighting for custody, it is understood that due to financial reasons and stability he is to be with me.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:22 AM
    We had an attorney draw this document up just in case this exact situation occured. The mother knew that the odds were against her, and wanted to make sure that he was taken care of, there is no family fighting for custody, it is understood that due to financial reasons and stability he is to be with me.

I believe it can still be challenged - the mother cannot waive the legal rights of her blood relatives - but it sounds like you should begin to make your move to take custody.

What does the mother say about this?

Jul 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
    We discussed it right after she was arrested, we both decided to wait and see what the final outcome was. I already provide monetarily and he spends a great deal of time with my family. Their family does not have the stability or monetary means with which to take care of him, and while they may want to keep him, they know it is not possible. I just hesitate to uproot him until we know exactly what is going to happen.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:56 AM
    we discussed it right after she was arrested, we both decided to wait and see what the final outcome was. I already provide monetarily and he spends a great deal of time with my family. Their family does not have the stability or monetary means with which to take care of him, and while they may want to keep him, they know it is not possible. I just hesitate to uproot him until we know exactly what is going to happen.

I agree, uprooting him now before you know what is going to happen is not necessary and could be harmful but I don't understand what your legal question is - ?

Jul 29, 2008, 09:05 AM
    The original question was what this forum feels could be the final outcome as far as what will happen to the mother with her violating her felony probation, did they feel that she would serve time or continue on with probation. I just want to make sure I have everything done that needs to be done for my godson should she have to do serious time. Part of me feels that yes she has violated her probation, but that there are worse criminals out there and the jails are so full, that they would weigh the pros and cons and keep her on probation because she is not a menace to society, she has a drug problem, but she is not violent.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 09:11 AM
    The original question was what this forum feels could be the final outcome as far as what will happen to the mother with her violating her felony probation, did they feel that she would serve time or continue on with probation. I just want to make sure I have everything done that needs to be done for my godson should she have to do serious time. Part of me feels that yes she has violated her probation, but that there are worse criminals out there and the jails are so full, that they would weigh the pros and cons and keep her on probation because she is not a menace to society, she has a drug problem, but she is not violent.

Wow - you're between a rock and a hard place. You obviously really care for her as well as her child. No one can predict what the Court will do but it sounds like she is in severe violation of probation and she'll probably do some jail time.

Wonder if the Judge would consider some type of residential treatment center? Some Courts are more understanding than others.

Does the child actually live with her? Who takes care of him when she's using?
    Mrs.St.Louis24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
    My husband got locked up for probation violation.from the firest time he got locked up he been in a rehabilitation facility.he been discharge for an incident of someone stealing his stuff.what will happen to him?
    Mrs.St.Louis24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
    My fiancé got locked up on a violation.he been in a drug treatment for 2 1/2 years when he only suppose to do six months.he Neva been in trouble Eva since until he got discharge on Friday.he caught someone stealing his things in the program.his p.o violate him.wat will happen to him?
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 06:36 AM
    He could be sentenced to additional time, warned with no additional time, receive the sentence he would have received without probation - hard to guess. It's up to the judge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony probation violation [ 5 Answers ]

How much jail time is involved for receiving a DUI while on felony probation?

Violation of probation on a felony drug charge.what will happen? [ 6 Answers ]

In July of last year my boyfriend of 3.5 years got caught with cocaine and spent 56 days in jail. He was sentenced to 5 years probation and fines. This past Thursday he and I got into an argument, alcohol was a factor for him, and the police came and arrested him for a domestic violence charge as...

First felony violation of probation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a fiancée who's a felon and violated his probation by not going in on 12/07; they placed a warrant for his arrest on 1/08; this is his first time violating his probation and his last day of probation is 04/08; will he have to do the hole 2 years in jail or will they just have him do the...

Felony Probation Violation [ 3 Answers ]

If you are on felony probation and you get arrested for a DUI what are the consaquense's?

Felony probation violation [ 1 Answers ]

HI my boyfriend is incarcerated on two charges but when he went to court today the DA refused to prosecute however instead of being released he has a court date set for tomorrow for felony probation violation what I don't understand is how they can violate him if the charges he was incarcerated for...

View more questions Search