Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heidigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2004, 11:51 PM
    Internet access using a router.
    I have a home network with 2 computers, both using windows 98se. I use a router to connect both computers to the internet, however, the secondary computer can no longer access the internet. I have a connection between the 2 computers but no internet connection only on the second computer. What could be wrong?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2004, 11:43 AM
    Re: Internet access using a router.
    I am not familiar enough with windows to tell you exactly where to look, but try opening your controls, settings, properties, etc. on both computers. Look for something on the connection that is different, and change the one that isn't working to match the one that is.
    doghart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2004, 06:40 PM
    Start by left clicking "network neighborhood" from your desktop. Then in the 'connections' tab find your ethernet card, highlight it and go to proprties, then tcpip properties. Make sure your IP address and dns info is correct. You can check it by comparing to the other PC that works. The last digit of the ip address should be slightly different or both pc's should be set to 'automatic'.

If this looks good, can you go to the command line and ping the ip of the non working PC from the other PC? Is your light on your router and lan card lit green?

May take some time to find this.
    Heidigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2004, 06:33 AM
    Thanks for the info. I did some tweaking and got it working. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it though. Again, thanks for helping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless router won't let me access certain domain/address [ 1 Answers ]

I have a D-Link wireless router which is servicing 2 laptops. I have trouble connecting to certain secure sites from the laptops but can do so fine with my main computer hard wired to the main router. I suspect the wireless router's default filtering/firewall is the culprit. How do I unset those...

Internet URL Access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I have one computer, 450 MHz Pentium, running IE 5.50 sp1, that won

Internet access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi AOL v9 using xp does not install files to connect to service when requested No AOL browser visible Ta Norm

Fail to access the router [ 6 Answers ]

Please, I need an advice :confused: I fail to access the router, I type my default gateway in IE, but it returns in no results. In the house I live, we are connnected to the internet from one person, is it possible to configure router from my computer? I need to open some ports :D

Router access point problems [ 11 Answers ]

I have a wrt54g router and a wap54g access point. Now the problem is I have used them both for some time now but just recently they have started to lose the signal, well the wireless network will just go away. I mean for no reason the wireless network will just go away as fast as it appered. I have...

View more questions Search