Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Thumb Piano
    I took a craft class in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma a few years ago and purchased and painted a Thumb Piano. It only has 8 keys and the board is solid wood, not four sides with sound opening. Very simple in design. I have searched trying to find how to order more but all I see are made from either coconut shells, or four sided wood, etc. The design painted in the class was a lighthouse scene. I am being specific in these details in the hopes that some one out there has information on where I can order more of these Thumb Pianos. The board is plain, solid and unpainted. I love the creativity of others I have seen online but for simplicity purposes at this time prefer this particular design. A Crafter who taught the classes in Oklahoma City at Tole Country Show also had these for purchase. Thank you! jrebel7
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Where I live, there are over 1,000 thumb pianos that I have made with kids in schools as well as churches where I have been the music person. I made all of the kits and the kids put them together. No kid has ever had to pay for one. Most of them have twelve notes and are tuned diatonically, which means that you can actually play real, western world melodies on them, unlike those that originated in Africa. The resonating chambers of these thumb pianos were small boxes rather than the board used for resonating like the ones you are talking about.

There are now many sources for thumb pianos online. All you would need to do is put thumb piano kits into a Google search. Thumb Piano Kits - Google Search

Are you wanting to purchase completed instruments or make them yourself? From what you have posted, it sounds like you want to purchase completed instruments and then decorate them.

If you want to know how to make the one that you are describing, then I can definitely help you with that. Making them is not hard to do. Anyone can do it.

Please let me know. Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Thank you so much for your reply. I searched Google several different times and found a lot of links but not one that showed where I could order what I was looking for. I appreciate your response. I think if I could just find the hardware, I could make the kind I am looking for. Would you be able to assist me in this venture? I would appreciate any help you could give me, directions, instructions, where to order hardware or if you have some available for purchase, if I could view the product and see a price. As I said, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! jrebel7
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Do you have a picture of the kind of thumb piano you are talking about that you could post? That would give me a better idea as to exactly what you mean.

In addition to wood, I use 1" wide oak molding for the main bridge. I cut a dado in it in order to accommodate an hold in a 1/8" round steel bar over which the metal tangents (notes) will rest on. The reason for the round steel is because if the notes are just resting on the oak wood, then there will be a rather nasty rattle. Although, in the African instruments, the more noise, the better.

I then affix the notes with screws through another piece of oak trim which I have chamfered on both of the bottom sides in order to allow for the notes to vibrate as well as to facilitate the tuning of the instrument.

Wood for the body and other parts of the instruments are of course easy to obtain, as are screws. Round steel rods can be found at most hardware stores. The notes on my instruments are made of flat, blue, tempered spring steel. That is something that must be special ordered and then cut and ground to shape. I get mine from McMaster-Carr which is located in the Chicago area.

Do you have any wood working equipment such as a table saw?

If I could see a picture of yours, then I could tell you what the parts are that you need and maybe where to find them as well as how to make them, if necessary.

Thank you!
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Is the thumb piano anything like the one on the following link:

Musical Instruments

The body of it appears to be just a piece of wood and not a box.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Thank you for your prompt response. Actually, I did find one on the link you sent that was the closest to what I have been searching for. That was a tremendous help. I was looking for one a little less in price but the one I saw is a beautiful piece. I am needing one that I can make as gifts so would not be able to spend quite that much if I was purchasing several but am so appreciative of your response. Thanks again! jrebel7
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Clough, I am new to this forum and it has taken me a little while to figure out how to get a photo to you of the Thumb Piano I have. I scanned photo then uploaded it but I don't see it on this message. If it does not come to you, I will try again later. Thank you! jrebel7
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 08:36 PM
    The picture that you have posted came through loud and clear. Although, a little slow because I am on a dial-up connection. Perhaps you are on dial-up also? I have saved the image to my computer so that I can edit it in various ways and will get back to you soon! Am working on something for a customer now and decided to just pop in here for a minute.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Thanks for letting me know you received photo. As soon as I hit "Post", I saw it and was delightfully surprised. I liked the sort of oval shaped Thumb Piano that I saw on the link you sent. Just needing this smaller version I think. I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I bounce in and out where my computer is and was delighted to see a response again so quickly. I am anxious to learn more about this forum.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Actually, I did find one on the link you sent that was the closest to what I have been searching for.
    Which link was that, please? Google or the other one?
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 02:12 AM
    Dear jrebel7,

I have saved the image that you have posted above to my computer, enlarged it and also lightened it up a bit and sharpened it in order to get a better look at it.

What I am seeing is a flat board, type of wood unknown, probably initially painted with a primer so as to provide a proper base for the other paints. A piece of maybe oak trim as I have described above, with a dado cut into it, also as I have previously described. A length of probably 1/8" round steel that is put into the dado, also as I have previously described. Eight metal tangents about 1/8" wide, cut and shaped to size and not tuned diatonically. These are presumably made of spring steel, because they seem to be permanently bent to a shape on the playing end of them. A clamp for the notes that is either made of wood or metal and is painted black. A couple of screws that hold the clamp in place. A beautiful drawing of a lighthouse and other objects on the top of the instrument.

All of the parts for this are available at any hardware store. That is, except for the spring steel that you might want to purchase as just spring steel and not being a part of something else. I usually buy my spring steel in bulk. It might come in a roll that is over 350' in length. Of course you will not be needing that much. Other sources for the size of spring steel that you need might include return springs for the pull-rope mechanism for starting lawn mowers and also, I think some automobile engine parts. Although, if someone else is interested in this thread, then they might have some other ideas about where you might get small quantities of spring steel without paying an arm and a leg for it.

What I see is very much like the one that I make, except yours is not as complicated, but is more historically accurate to what thumb pianos were/are through the centuries. I want my thumb pianos to be playable to western world style music, hence, I make them to be used that way.

You have already indicated that you could make these instruments if you could just find the hardware. But, I don't know if you mean to put them together from kits or to make them from scratch, that is cutting and shaping all of the parts yourself.

Do you want to make these instruments from scratch or put then together from kits?

I would encourage you to cut and make all of the parts yourself. If you do that an instrument like the one that you have posted will probably cost you under $10.00 to make, but would be worth much more than $10.00. This is, I am assuming, that you will want the block of wood for the body of the instrument to be something other than pine since you are wanting a block of wood and not a box to act as the resonating chamber for your instruments. Softer woods, such as those that are from coniferous trees, won't do the best job, as far as sound, for the kind of instruments that you seem to want.

If you want to buy kits, then that is going to further cost you some bucks. I figure that the ones I have made with students/kids at schools/churches probably cost me about $2.50 each to make. But, that is because I was buying things in bulk and also getting junk wood that I would plane down and cut to shape. Palettes are a great source for oak. 1/8" used paneling makes a great sounding board for a thumb piano. 1/4" used paneling makes a great bottom for an instrument Planing down, cutting to shape simple lath that you use in walls is a very inexpensive way to create the sides of a thumb piano.

I have already asked you previously, if you have any woodworking equipment such as a table saw. I would appreciate an answer to that question. I would also like to know if you did the painting on the instrument freehand?

Although I am very excited about what you are trying to do, and that would be to make these instruments to be given away as gifts, I can't and won't use this board/forum we are on right now to further my business. It's not allowed. So, the best that I can do is the way that I am answering right now, even though what you ask is very unusual on this type of site, (although, maybe not that unusual on a site devoted to musical instrument making), and I just happened to be the one who could answer your question because I am very experienced with what you are asking about. Maybe the right time but wrong place? I hope that you understand.

On this board/forum, I can provide you detailed instructions as to how to make all of the parts, cut them to shape and put them together as well as tune the notes if you would like for them to be in tune like mine, as I have described. I am assuming that you or someone else put the notes on after the decorating was done? Is this correct? The notes would have to have been moved aside in order to facilitate applying the intricate painting that was done.

I hope that I have made myself clear as to what I can do for you via this site. Please let me know what you would like for me to do. I am very glad to help you in order to further promulgate ideas and projects or anything, for that matter, that is good in the arts.

Please let me know. Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
    I just clicked on your link in your note that said "Musical Instruments". I went back to it and copied and pasted it below:

Musical Instruments

The 8-Note Board Thumb Piano (Kalimba)

This is our simplest kalimba. It is sturdy, easy to hold, and has excellent sound. With 8 keys, it is available in mahogany, walnut, or cherry.

8 Note Board Thumb Piano
    Item No: CAT001
    Qty: Price: $38.00
    Wood:MahoganyWalnutCherry

I hope that helps! It looks like it already has a finish on it and I would prefer unfinished wood and for it to be smaller although I sort of like the oval shape. The one I sent the photo of to you measures 5 1/4 x 6 1/4 inches. The edges and corners are rounded but the shape is square. If I had the hardware, perhaps I could figure out how to make them except that I am not adept at using a table saw or sanders. I use a drimmel tool to work with Ostrich Eggs but mainly do pencil drawings. I just love the thumb pianos and would love to paint some for Christmas gifts this year. They are so unique. I sure appreciate all your help. Thanks so much! jrebel7
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Clough, I totally missed the note from earlier. As I have said, I am new at this type of communicating. I so much appreciate the time you took to address the questions I have had. My Thumb Piano was put together when I got to class except for the keys. It came with instructions as to how to place them for the correct sound. I play "at" the guitar so I used that to tune the Thumb Piano after I finished painting it and placing the keys. The other hardware was already on the piece.

You had asked about my skills with a saw earlier and I apologize I forgot to address that question. My skills with a saw would be questionable. I am a person who generally decides I can do whatever I need to do. I feel I could learn the skill given time. Time is just such a factor right now. My mother is in a Nursing Home and I go each evening to help her with her dinner and stay until she is in bed and getting snoozy!!

Anyway, your instruction is amazing and the detail you provided fantastic. I won't be making very many so looks like perhaps making them myself is out of range. I would be doing them from a kit I am sure from what you described. I do not believe I could make them from scratch for what I am wanting them for. Sort of like wanting one bite of cotton candy but realizing the rest would just lay there wasted so you just don't go that direction. LOL Hope you realize my attempt at humor.

I painted the background then put a pattern on with graphite paper so I had my dimensions correct then painted free hand. I painted a wall by my bathtub just like it except extended it to accommodate the larger area but kept within the color scheme.

You stated:
    I can't and won't use this board/forum we are on right now to further my business. It's not allowed. So, the best that I can do is the way that I am answering right now, even though what you ask is very unusual on this type of site, (although, maybe not that unusual on a site devoted to musical instrument making), and I just happened to be the one who could answer your question because I am very experienced with what you are asking about. Maybe the right time but wrong place? I hope that you understand.

I totally do understand and apologize if I overstepped bounds in my questions. As you can see, I also was not sure how to do the "Quote User" so just copied and pasted and tried to change the font color on your statement in red. Others reading this note from me are probably shaking their head wondering what I am doing on this forum and on a computer for that matter!!

You have gone far and above in your instruction and kindness. Thank you! jrebel7
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 12:51 AM
    Thank you so much for your kind words! They are much appreciated! :) I hope that you received my private message. You have done just fine! And, I hope that you continue to use this site!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 01:16 AM
    You had asked about my skills with a saw earlier and I apologize I forgot to address that question. My skills with a saw would be questionable. I am a person who generally decides I can do whatever I need to do. I feel I could learn the skill given time. Time is just such a factor right now. My mother is in a Nursing Home and I go each evening to help her with her dinner and stay until she is in bed and getting snoozy!!!

Anyway, your instruction is amazing and the detail you provided fantastic. I won't be making very many so looks like perhaps making them myself is out of range. I would be doing them from a kit I am sure from what you described. I do not believe I could make them from scratch for what I am wanting them for. Sort of like wanting one bite of cotton candy but realizing the rest would just lay there wasted so you just don't go that direction. LOL Hope you realize my attempt at humor.
    Dear jrebel7,

There is a way around this, you know. I would like for you to be successful in this project. They would make great Christmas gifts! Or, gifts for any other occasion! Also, by your posting about this, you are giving me the inspiration to post on a website of mine and advertise elsewhere about things to make and do for gifts that would be just a little bit out of the ordinary. When the time is right, I just might post on this website here with instructions about things to make for gifts without advertising my business.

If they aren't made by me, then you could have someone who is local cut the wood the way that you need it cut and also cut out the dado, and also the round steel rod to the lengths that you need. The only question is the spring steel then. That is the tricky part. You don't have to use spring steel. Skill sticks (tongue depressors) also work for the notes. You also don't have to have as many notes as you do on yours.

I am sure that you would have no problems with gluing things together. You could get someone else to drill the screw holes for the pilot as well as setting holes for the screws. After you have seen someone do this, I am sure that you could also do that yourself.

I have yet to find a hardware or lumber store that would charge me to cut the wood to the sizes that I need for things.

Would you like for me to post detailed instructions here as to how to put a thumb piano together, like the one that you have, if a person already has all of the parts? I would be glad to do that. I think that this would also be very beneficial to others who are wanting to do the same thing. Please remember that the ones I have made were, for the most part, made by children putting them together. It is really easy to put them together. The kind that you are wanting would be even easier, because we wouldn't be dealing with putting a box together.

By the way, the artwork that you did on your thumb piano is beautiful!

Please let me know.

Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Thank you so much for your kind words!! They are much appreciated!! :) I hope that you received my private message. You have done just fine!! And, I hope that you continue to use this site!!
    I am glad you mentioned that you had written a private message. I never would have known. I need to sit down and take the time to go through this forum and learn more about how to navigate through it! I will continue to use this site. It has been a great experience! jrebel7
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Dear jrebel7,

There is a way around this, you know. I would like for you to be successful in this project. They would make great Christmas gifts! Or, gifts for any other occasion! Also, by your posting about this, you are giving me the inspiration to post on a website of mine and advertise elsewhere about things to make and do for gifts that would be just a little bit out of the ordinary. When the time is right, I just might post on this website here with instructions about things to make for gifts without advertising my business.

Would you like for me to post detailed instructions here as to how to put a thumb piano together, like the one that you have, if a person already has all of the parts? I would be glad to do that. I think that this would also be very beneficial to others who are wanting to do the same thing. Please remember that the ones I have made were, for the most part, made by children putting them together. It is really easy to put them together. The kind that you are wanting would be even easier, because we wouldn't be dealing with putting a box together.

By the way, the artwork that you did on your thumb piano is beautiful!

Please let me know.

Thank you!
    I'm glad I inspired someone! LOL I think other viewers would enjoy reading your instructions. You are very thorough which is not a gift everyone possesses. Thumb Pianos are unique. I didn't realize there was such a history of them until I began searching the internet looking for unfinished pieces to paint for gifts. Thank you for the compliment on my painting. Now I am inspired!! :)

Question: When you mention the spring steel, is that what is used for the keys? Also, is that what you said I would have to buy in bulk and might be the difficult item to locate? I will reread your other notes this evening. I am sure you put that information in an earlier note. Just a lot of information for me to absorb. Thanks so much! jrebel7
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 09:57 PM
    I am glad you mentioned that you had written a private message. I never would have known. I need to sit down and take the time to go through this forum and learn more about how to navigate through it! I will continue to use this site. It has been a great experience! jrebel7
    Here are some links on which there is information that can help you in using this site.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/announcements/

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedback/

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum-help/

I have sent you another private message. If you look up at the right hand corner of the screen, there should be an icon of a colored envelope that is moving in some way to show you that you have mail.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 10:13 PM
    I'm glad I inspired someone! LOL I think other viewers would enjoy reading your instructions. You are very thorough which is not a gift everyone possesses. Thumb Pianos are unique. I didn't realize there was such a history of them until I began searching the internet looking for unfinished pieces to paint for gifts. Thank you for the compliment on my painting. Now I am inspired!!!!! :)

Question: When you mention the spring steel, is that what is used for the keys? Also, is that what you said I would have to buy in bulk and might be the difficult item to locate? I will reread your other notes this evening. I am sure you put that information in an earlier note. Just a lot of information for me to absorb. Thanks so much! jrebel7
    Hey! I think that we are inspiring each other!

Yes, the spring steel is used for the notes (tangents). Or, as you have called them "keys." A "key" in music, is something that unlocks the way and/or means used to make the music. It is also interesting to note, that the white keys on a piano are somewhat in the shape of keys like you might use in a lock on a door. Particularly, a really old door lock.

When the time is right, I just might post instructions about making things as gifts that are unique, unusual, simple and made of wood and other easy-to-use materials. They would be for the people who might already have everything, but who might appreciate something that is handmade by a friend or relative that is also a keepsake that could be used. But, I think the time to see if that is something people might want and then post, would be when it gets just a little closer to the Christmas season.

My particular expertise concerning making memorable gifts, would be in the area of making simple folk instruments, like thumb pianos/kalimba/mbira (there's probably over thirty different names for the same type of instrument depending on the particular language/dialect from where it was made in whatever part of Africa. They can also come in all sorts of sizes and shapes; dulcimers, ornamented drums, tamboura, very simple stringed instruments, any number of simple percussion instruments, etc.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
    I just clicked on your link in your note that said "Musical Instruments". I went back to it and copied and pasted it below:

Musical Instruments

The 8-Note Board Thumb Piano (Kalimba)

This is our simplest kalimba. It is sturdy, easy to hold, and has excellent sound. With 8 keys, it is available in mahogany, walnut, or cherry.

8 Note Board Thumb Piano
    Item No: CAT001
    Qty: Price: $38.00
    Wood:MahoganyWalnutCherry

I hope that helps! It looks like it already has a finish on it and I would prefer unfinished wood and for it to be smaller although I sort of like the oval shape. The one I sent the photo of to you measures 5 1/4 x 6 1/4 inches. The edges and corners are rounded but the shape is square. If I had the hardware, perhaps I could figure out how to make them except that I am not adept at using a table saw or sanders. I use a drimmel tool to work with Ostrich Eggs but mainly do pencil drawings. I just love the thumb pianos and would love to paint some for Christmas gifts this year. They are so unique. I sure appreciate all your help. Thanks so much! jrebel7
    If you are already using a Dremel Moto Tool, then you are well on your way in the steps to learning how to use a table saw and sanders of various sorts. The Moto Tool in itself, can be very tricky to use, depending on what you are using it for. I find it to be an indispensable tool in my workshop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1898 Piano [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what a 1898 Adam Schaaf upright piano is worth

Piano Tuning [ 2 Answers ]

I'm curious if anyone can give me an idea of how much it costs to tune a piano. I recently bought a used 1970's vintage Cable-Nelson Spinet and it needs slight tuning. I live in the New England area if that helps.

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do to stop my daughter from sucking her finger...

Thumb sucking [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is addicted to keep her thumb in mouth. She often do this when she feel sleepy. I tried several times to remove, but she is not. Can anyone suggest a best practive to avoid this. Please fast. Regards, Krishna _ India

Learning the Piano [ 9 Answers ]

Can one of those portable keyboards be used to learn the piano. If so, which one would you recommend?

View more questions Search