Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkiepixie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Car accident with no insurance
    I live in Bradenton Florida, I had a car accident in 2005 , it was my fault, I wasn't high speeding but I was on a phone call , didn't realize the light turned red and ipassed it, I hit a car which the car didn't have big damage and the person who was driving just got some scratched , I didn't have insurance by ignorance, I sent check for payment and it was cancelled without me knowing, I come from Puerto Rcio which is part of USA but traffic laws are so different, the person's car insurance now is after me to pay his car expenses, now I have a court citation soon, I don't have no money to pay , I'm not going to be represented either I can't afford to pay attorney.

Now, what is going to happen?

I know I might have to pay insurance , but I'm totally broke, I might even file bancruptcy,
    Isn't Florida a non fault state??

Im ignorant about laws in this state/

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2009, 03:06 PM

No fault doesn't mean what you think it does. If you were at fault, you are responsible to pay for the damages. I suggest you try and arrange a payment plan or file for bankruptcy now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Several bad things, first bankruptcy most likely will not help. A few reasons, first bankruptcy can not relieve fines and normally payments for court ordered payments ( criminal activity)

Plus even if the bankruptcy got rid of the debt from collections, the traffic law is different, since a drivers license is not a "right" they drivers license merely remains revolked till all of the damages are paid on the other car.

So you will get a large fine, you will most likely get probation and be ordered to pay for all of the damages on the other car.

So you may want to get a 2nd or 3rd job and start working out a payment plan, since you won't have a drivers license till you do
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 06:04 PM
    First of all, filing for bankruptcy will not relieve you from civil liability as this is not dischargeable under the bankruptcy code. I don't get your statement where you say "I sent check for payment and it was canceled without me knowing." Payment for what? And what do you mean by "canceled"? Either way, you're liable for the damages suffered by the other driver. In all likelihood the other driver's insurance paid his damages and now they're subjugating against you for reimbursement. This is quite standard practice in the automobile insurance industry.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 06:13 PM

It is my understanding that judgments resulting from MV injury claims ARE dischargable in bankruptcy UNLESS it is an alcohol-related accident. (I am not talking about fines and penalties.)

"Chapter 7 bankruptcy may eliminate most kinds of unsecured debt. Some examples of unsecured debts are credit cards, medical bills, most personal loans, judgments resulting from car accidents, and deficiencies on repossessed vehicles. In addition, you can discharge any outstanding balances after a home was foreclosed upon."

Here is one site, although I found this info on several: Boston Bankruptcy Lawyer :: Personal Bankruptcy :: Methuen, Massachusetts Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney.

If the Law has changed, I cannot find it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 06:23 PM

But part of the DMV rules are you don't get your license back until it is paid, the person may not be able to garnish their pay, but the DMV will still withhold their drivers license.

So as long as they never want to drive again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Car Accident Without Insurance [ 9 Answers ]

I was in a car accident this afternoon. I was on a one way three lane street on the left lane. THe lady that hit me was in the middle lane and made a left turn not seeing me and ran right into me. I found out after the accident talking to my insurance company that my insurance expired. What does...

2 car accident with no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me with this. My husband was in a car accident where he rearended a woman's vehicle while entering a highway. The woman went to the hospital. My husband was not injured but both cars received bad damage. We were surprised to find out that we did not have coverage...

Accident with out insurance on my name [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was driving my mechanics vehicle as my car was in repair with him. I have a valid license and my mechanic's vehicle which I am driving is also insured but It does not have insurance on my name . I have insurance on my own car. I just hit a car though I slammed the brake . It was raining...

View more questions Search