Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatieK Posts: 20, Reputation: -1

Nov 7, 2009, 06:08 PM
    My car coughs! Why?
    I have a 1999 Grand Prix GT with a 3800 series 2 motor. When the temp reaches between 195 to 210 at idel it will flutter or cough, and about 1 out of every 10 of those flutters or coughs it will die. I have tried what I believe is to be just about everything, but am looking for help in solving this problem. Knowing my luck it is probably something simple that's being overlooked! Can anyone Help?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 06:17 PM

Try cleaning/replacing the Idle Air Control Valve. Also, remove air intake--then, clean the throttle plate, throttle body, and upper and lower ports. Afterwards, clean the air box with a damp cloth and replace the air filter.

Ensure the platinum spark plugs (ACDelco only) have been replaced in the last 50,000 miles. If the problem persists, replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil packs. I recommend replacing these problematic components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. ICMs are notorious for breaking down under heat.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 7, 2009, 06:25 PM
    You might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common. Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
    Un-regulated air can enter the engine through:
    • a vacuum leak
    • a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately
    • an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold
    • an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.

If it is hard to pinpoint use a spray like WD-40 around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carbonized and needs to be cleaned. This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing I would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars.
    The IAC motor gets lazy and can't keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Nov 7, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Thanks Guys! But I have cleaned the throtle body. Checked for vacuum leaks, replaced all sensors with new. I will try the spark plugs though. I have NKG plus in it now. I was told that it needs updating in the computer. Is this true or is this someone just yanking my chain? Thanks Again for all your help! :o) :)
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 06:49 PM

Personally, I would only use the exact ACDelco plugs that came in the engine. After that, move on to the ICM.

On some cars, cleaning the IACV doesn't work--only replacement solves the problem.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 07:08 PM

Are NGK Plus single or double platinum plugs? I've never heard of NGK Plus. The new plugs could easily be the wrong heat range--ECMs can be pretty particular.

Nov 7, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Not for sure! Sorry
    :confused:
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 06:47 AM

Do you mean NGK plugs, not plus?
    The ECM may well have updates available but you have numerous systems that need tested before replacing.
    Your throttle position sensor may not be reading correctly and the ECM cannot know good info from bad, therefore cannot make the proper adjustments. What sensors in particular did you have replaced and by whom?

Nov 10, 2009, 10:37 PM

Thank You for all your help! Now for the fun part! I thought that I would let you know that I did get this issue fixed. Don't Laugh too hard now... it was just a simple matter of grounding 2 wires to the tranny. They were overlooked when putting the motor in. Thanks again!
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 11, 2009, 02:20 AM
    That's wonderful! and you have the assurance of having the other maintenance done also. Glad to be of assistance...

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car lease over and filed chapter 7 [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently in chapter 7 bankruptcy and my lease of car expired last month. I still have it in my possession. Lawyers of the finance owners sent me a court date for next month to appear and seize their vehicle. This is New York city. Are they allowed to reposess their car before that court date??

5 week kitten coughs, convulses, no vomit [ 2 Answers ]

My adventurous little kitten will have an attack of coughing. She is a 5-week old calico. Her stomach moves and convulses, but nothing seems to come out of her mouth, although she sniffs around where it might have come out. Today, she did this two times, one right after the other, and then went...

Coughs/colds and children's vaccinations [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I was wondering if children can have there vaccinations when they have cough/ colds. My 4 month old and my 4 year old are due to have their vaccanations tomorrow and they both have more of a cough than a cold but I was just wondering. If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks...

Who's liable for crimes committed using your 'former car' [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law had a car that she took to a shop for repairs... It would cost $1000 to repair, more than the car was worth, so she decline to have it fixed (The car did not run at this point)... She gave the car to the repair shop. She cannot remember if she transferred the tittle, since this...

View more questions Search