Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    numbernine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Printing even or odd pages only
    I'm not sure if my problem is the vista operating system or the word processing software in ms works 8.5
    I'm using a cannon i960, when I try to print there is no drop down window to select to print odd or even pages only.
    Is there a way to print odd or even page using ms works 8.5 with vista operating system?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 08:44 PM
    I don't know anything about Vista, but I might be able to offer a suggestion. As an admisistrator see if there is a duplexing option available in the properties of the device and set it to on, Just a thought.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Sep 23, 2007, 01:48 AM
    Try looking online for another driver for that printer. Delete the driver you have now and replace it. If you can find a ps driver for it, they normally have more functions available for printing

Sep 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
    OK, some printers don't give you that option... the only way to get around it is to tell it specifically what pages to print (ie: 1,3,5... and so on).
    Did you find a postscript driver or just the regular manufacturer's driver?

A little hint for the newbies: Just because our suggestion didn't work, you shouldn't "rate" our answers as disagrees... we have given solid advice not rude or bad suggestions. Just "answer" that it didn't work and we will try to come up with a different solution for you. Thanks and hope this will work for you
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 09:07 PM
    I have an hp 5550 and under properties/features there is:

[ ] Two sided printing
    [ ] Long side
    [ ] Short side

[ ] Automatic

Guess what? With two sided printing checked and automatic unchecked, you get even and odd pages. Your asked to re-insert the stack etc.

When automatic is checked, it uses the optional duplexer.

Could you be mis-interpreting this option because it doesn't say even/odd pages?

For my HP laser printer, I'm using the all in one driver and it knows the capabilities of the printer.
    numbernine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I want to apologize to everyone one that tried to help me with this. I am ignorant as to how this process works. Anyway KISS was apologize correct. It's duplexing. It didn't work the first time because by the time I got it set up to print it had reverted back to the previous setting. I'm sorry again for the bad ratting I gave you guys. I didn't realize it was marks against you. I'm sorry
    numbernine

Sep 24, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Not a problem... it's a learning process for us all :)

Sep 25, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Thanks father chuck... you are a great man
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Duplexing (printing on both sides) is different from printing only odd and even pages. A printer needs to support duplexing to be able to do that. Printing only odd and even pages is a software function which allows for printing on both sides (not duplexing) by printing only the odd pages, then inserting the paper resvering the side to print on the backs with the even pages.

Microsoft Word does support that feature, but the version of Word within Works may not.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 02:37 PM
    If I may, I'd like to chime on this one.

Odd or even pages is an application feature referring to the positioning of the header and or footer in a document. It is entirely application dependent, nothing to do with printing all odd or all even pages, within this context: For Word, please look at INSERT>>Header/Footer

It speaks to placing the header or footer on all even page or all odd pages. You can also choose to place the headers on all page or just the first page.

Headers and footers will always fit on a page because the application calculates page size, formatting and positioning, communicates to the printer driver and the driver in turn communicates the information to the printer.

Duplexing however is significantly different mechanical process. True "Duplexing" is normally found only on the higher end printers that are designed for that function. These printers have advanced paper handling features the allow the page to be taken back under the print head after the first side of the page has been printed and page going through a page turn-around process to have the other side printed.

Manually duplexing is nothing more that printing one side of a page and then the user has to manually turn the pages over and repeat the entire print process for the rest of the pages. However within this context, the user selects which side of the pages to print on the first pass through the printer. After the first pass, the printed and sequenced pages are turned around and the run back through the printer to place the missing sides on the page.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Odd or even pages is an application feature referring to the positioning of the header and or footer in a document. It is entirely application dependent, nothing to do with printing all odd or all even pages, within this context: For Word, please look at INSERT>>Header/Footer

It speaks to placing the header or footer on all even page or all odd pages. You can also choose to place the headers on all page or just the first page.
    Word can also be set to print all odd pages or all even pages.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Here are two screen shots for the same driver.

Here, there is a duplex option under the print dialog and again under Properties/Finishing.
    My 5550 also has an automatic duplexer installed.
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Scott: - Thanks for the info. I never used that option because I have a printer that does duplexing.

KISS: - Printer Properties pages differ between vendors. Also you will find differences in product sets from the same vendor. Unless the poster has a similar HP printer I would not expect him to see the same image you do.

Numbernine: Does the Cannon printer User's Guide list Manual Duplexing? If not, then you have to rely on the strength of the application to control the printer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead pages? [ 12 Answers ]

If I add pages to my favourites, after about three days its like it will go dead like a dead link,as in if I go into faves,then find the site I want and click on it nothing at all happens, I have to Google the page and re add it,then it goes OK for a few days then happens again, its not just one...

Web Pages [ 1 Answers ]

Whem I click on an icon on my desk top the web page comes up in the small size. I would like to know how to make it come up in the large size

Web pages [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently reverted back to standard internet explorer and find that some web pages are not displayed properly i.e.. My login slots are hidden below the displayed page and various images that should show do not. Help:confused:

Web pages [ 3 Answers ]

None of my web pages are opening up properly its loading up so far and then saying done. Even if I hit refresh the page still won't load... any help would be helpful!

Pps pages [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for humor on the web. Does anyone know of a funny pps page Thank you in advance mdomino

View more questions Search