Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StacyW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 10:25 AM
    1099-A Question
    When we filed bankruptcy in '99, we did not reaffirm on our mortgage loan, and was told we could keep our home as long as we still made our payments, but if we abandoned our home, we would not be liable for the remainder of the loan. We received a 1099-A and was wondering if we need to report this when we file our taxes, and if so, what amount and where do we report on our returns? Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 10:35 PM
    Stacy:

The Form 1099-A is just an information return to the IRS to inform them of abandonment of the home.

No income is reported, and you do not include it on your tax return.
    StacyW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 05:32 AM
    Thank you so much. That helps a lot. Big relief!!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Misc question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I worked as an Independent Contractor for a few months and received a 1099 Misc for the same. As I was going through the instructions for Schedule C-EZ, it said I need to fill the form if I am continuing the business.. which I am not. So should I include the amount in 1099 MISC in Other Income...

1099-R / P Code Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- My employer last year indicated that certain members of the company would be getting a 401k distribution because the company failed its non-discriminatory test by the government (set up to ensure that the plan set up by the company benefits employees of all $ levels.) Unfortunately,...

1099 without tax id [ 1 Answers ]

I am still preparing the 1099 forms. One contractor fails to provide us his tax id. IRS 1099 instructions indicate that there may be penalty for not providing the tax id. Shoud I still file the 1099 for him without the tax ID? Or it is better off not to file at all.

View more questions Search