Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Painted shutters - white powdery haze forming
    It was suggested to me where I bought my paint that I strip the enamel off because the paint was not sticking, so I did. Then I cleaned them with soap and rinsed them. I primed them then painted them. They looked really good. I let them dry for a day then put them on the house (last night). This afternoon when I went out to view the house w/ it's new shutters, I noticed a white haze on them. It can be rubbed off and forms a power type stuff but returns right before your eyes. You can also breathe your breath on it and it goes away, but as it dries, the haze comes back again right before your eyes. I took pic's but they are too big for the website - any suggestions about what's wrong and what can I do to fix this problem?
    Thank you,
    -Kae
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Are they wood shutters, and what kind of paint did you use? The old nitrocellulose lacquers used to do that if it was too humid, but haven't heard of anything like that in years. Maybe talk to where you bought the paint.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 05:04 PM
    Name:  resize2.JPG
Views: 735
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  shutters 004.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  39.5 KB
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Well, above is about the best manual resizing I can do.
    They are vinyl shutters w/ exterior latex paint.
    Thanks
    -kae
    boneyfreak Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Rubbed off? Or washed off? As in if you have some perspiration/oils on your hands the film becomes more translucent and appears to be removed. If it magically reappears before your eyes then its just an illusion that it was removed by just rubbing it away and if that's the case its your paint. If it "grows" with time then it maybe moisture in the wood, are the flip sides of the shutters painted ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2006, 11:53 PM
    As strange as it was - perspiration/oils on hands did make it appear to go away, but it would come back. I left them alone - and one day the haze was gone and I've never seen it again. Still don't know what it was.
    -Kae
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Hi, Kae,
    It's been my experience over the last many years that this is mostly caused by "cheaper paints". Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you bought a "cheap" paint.
    The dull powder is usually caused by this.
    Hopefully, since the powder appearance is gone, it won't come back.
    Best of luck.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 05:41 PM
    American Tradition at Lowe's - interior/exterior semi gloss latex paint w/ matching tinted primer - probably not top notch; however, it was the most expensive paint and primer I've ever bought and the least impressive. I was very disappointed with it. I'm just happy what ever the problem was worked it's self out.
    -Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window Chains Painted Over - What to do? [ 1 Answers ]

When someone painted the windows of my apartment (a long time ago), they painted over the chains that allow it to open and close. The window opens, but stops short of getting the air conditioner in the window. Can anyone suggest what to use to get the window to open just a bit more? I don't...

Window shutters [ 4 Answers ]

How do I make shutters for my windows

Protecting painted outdoor furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what is the best way to protect painted wood from the elements? Normally on bare wood I would use spar urethane,but they say not to use that on painted surfaces.

Painting Shutters [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Out There! I want to paint my vinyl shutters. They currently have an enamel paint on them. I painted one with the latex exterior paint that I want to use, but it feels rubbery and it's not sticking very good. Do I need to strip the enamel off or sand it? I guess I need to know how to prepare...

View more questions Search