Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bab313 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Removing an Aluminum Window
    I am having a lot of trouble removing my old aluminum window. It has a nail flange and accessing this flange isn't a great option for me. It is possible for the back of my house that has aluminum siding, however, the rest of my house is brick. Would it be best to cut out the window with a sawzall? Is there a better tool for the job? Please help because I want to get this installed this weekend.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 05:45 AM
    I've got the same issue at my house. Hopefully someone will have an answer for us.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Unless you plan to redo your siding you need to cut the nailing flange where it attaches to the window. Just leav the old flange in pplace and install a replacement window, not a new construction window.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
    The only other tool to come to mind is a chisel -- or air chisel -- should cut like hot

Knife through soft butter -- aluminum is real soft metal -- steel is much harder...

I have a drill that is a hammer drill -- chisel attachment -- start in middle -- cut to

Corners... Should be almost done -- easy job... Wear EYE PROTECTION -- use Vise-Grip

To hold chisel if you take that route -- Wear gloves to save your hands...
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Feb 22, 2008, 06:07 PM
    A dremel tool with metal cutting disk would work but a angle grinder would probably work better to cut it out. Rent one or buy one for $60.00

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to close all the childwindows(popup window) when closing the parent window [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, all In javascript I need to close all the child windows that I have opened through a parent window Scenario: Here I will be having as many as child window opened and name given to the child window can not be tracked because each will be having a different name, and I am using 70 to...

Removing window [ 1 Answers ]

I have an aluminum window that I am replacing and need to remove it. It seems to be a new construction window with a nail flange. Anyone know of the easiest way to remove this window?

Aluminum or copper? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I recently acquired a hot tub. We would like to install every ourselves but are totally green on the subject. So, we have decided to at least purchase the materials and have an electrician just hook it up to the box. What type of wire should we buy. I know it is 6/3 but the hardware...

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Aluminum Window Prices [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased the inventory of an Aluminum Window Manufacturer Co. along with the five trailers they came in. They are various sizes and types. How do determine what the windows are worth? From what I can tell, there are single panes, double panes, arch tops, horizontal sliders, jalousie,...

View more questions Search