Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwaldyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2016, 01:00 PM
    Upstairs Neighbor bathroom sink backs up into my downstairs bathroom sink?
    I live in a two story condo on the bottom floor. Today, I noticed my bathroom sink was filled for no reason. Every time I would scoop out the water, it kept refilling. After some troubleshooting, we realized that the backup occurs when my upstairs neighbors turn on their bathroom sink which is right above me.

What needs to be done to fix, and who is responsible for calling the plumber? Is the clog in their unit or mine?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 15, 2016, 02:08 PM
    You have a blockage in the drain after your sink. Blockage could be anywhere between your sink and the main drain line. This would be responsibility of the condo association.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2016, 06:43 AM
    This happens all the time in multi-story condominium buildings. You share common drain for that sink with your upstairs neighbor. As Harold said in above post, the blockage is somewhere below your sink. You have to "snake" that drain

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my downstairs bathroom sink get water in it when I use my upstairs bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

The sink in my downstairs bathroom backs up with water whenever I flush my upstairs bathroom toilet or run the water in its sink. The back up water is dirty and has debri in it. I tried clearing the drain in the downstairs sink from any hair or what have you and I tried some sort of liquid...

Sewer smell in upstairs and downstairs bathroom sink when first turn water on. [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new construction home last November that was on the market for over two years. When you first run water in the morning in both the upstairs and downstairs bathroom sinks a horrible sewer smell comes out of the drain but eventually goes away. The plumber was not able to determine the...

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello HELP! My situation is... water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink apparently after the upstairs shower has been used which is directly above the downstairs bathroom. Our house is around 40 years old. We have had people there before and opened up the wall on either side of the...

Upstairs bathroom sink backs up when neighbor uses theirs [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2 bdrm duplex (about 30 years old) and my upstairs bathroom sink is backing up primarily when my neighbor who also owns the property uses their sink. I can hear them plunging it out sometimes and my side starts to back up and spit black sediment and sludge. I have tried draino and it no...

View more questions Search