Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marymayo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Sewage odor from washing machine drain
    Our house was built in 1997. We bought it in 2001 in the winter. There is a problem with sewage odor coming from the washing machine drain in the laudry room when the weather is warm. A couple of years ago we had the septic tank checked and waste water lines extended (I'm not sure if that's what you really call those lines --pipes in the ground with holes in them). We had hoped that the septic line work would solve the problem but it has not. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here and how it can be
    Permanently fixed? I can control the odor somewhat by putting baking soda down the washing machine drain after I do laundry and have been doing that for the last few years; I would really like a permanent fix. Thanks to anyone who can help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
    I found a similar problem with a house on a septic system. Turns out the vertical drain went directly into a cast iron main drain in the floor, there was no trap. Without a trap thefumes from the septic tank came back into the house. To fix the problem we made a new vertical drain with PVC and with a trap. We cut off the old drain a few inches above the floor after opening the drywall. The PVC was attached to the old drain with a hub.
    Scargod Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2007, 03:12 PM
    You definitely need a trap on this drain. You might have a clogged or missing vent stack, too. I say this because it seems possible that when it is warm, and the septic tank is really percolating, gasses might be able to push past the water in the trap (if it does exist) if they have nowhere else to vent to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer odor after using washing machine [ 9 Answers ]

We started having problems with sewer odor in our conjoined bathroom/laundry room after using the washing machine. The plumber who came out to help didn't see any problems, but recommended my husband start pulling insulation off the drain pipes to look for a crack. We live in AK and it is 20 below...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Washing machine odor [ 1 Answers ]

We had a new septic system installed about 2 years ago. We had the tank pumped out in the spring and now we get an odor of sewage from the washing machine. The water does not smell. The odor only comes when my wife uses the washer. Could you please advise what could be causing it. I opened up...

Sewer odor from kitchen sink when washing machine discharges [ 1 Answers ]

Here goes... When the washing machine discharges water, I get a strong sewer smell from the kitchen sink. 1. Washing machine is located in the basement and empties into a utility sink. 2. Both kitchen sink drain and utility sink drain enter into the same cast iron pipe located in the concrete...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

View more questions Search