Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sky68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Use of a "chorus line" of a song by Bob Marley to print onto a shirt...
    Hello!

Would anyone know if it is illegal to print a paragraph or phrase or chorus of one of Bob Marley's songs onto a shirt to sell for retail?

Thanks,
    sky68
    AjuMatt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2006, 09:03 PM
    I believe it's illegal, unless it's a normal everyday saying. You have to get permission from the record company to put any type of lyrics you don't hear people say all the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Yes, ANY use of copyrighted material for monetary gain has to have the permission of the copyright holder. If you made ONE shirt for your own use, that would probably be allowable. But as soon as you try to make money off someone else's copyrighted intellectual property, you run afoul of copyright law.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Of course I agree that using copyrighted material is wrong, but this case may not be so cut and dried. It would depend on how far you went with it.

Surely there's no copyright on the word "Jammin". Yes, that's an extreme example, but I bet you see what I mean.

Also, paraphrasing would no doubt make a big difference, too.

What paraphrasing or line are you looking at using?

Jun 27, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Actually there may be a copyright on that word. But you have a valid point. However, the OP referred to a "paragraph or phrase". The impression is something easily identifiable as Marley's work.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 07:52 AM
    This is a tough call, that's for sure. Is a phrase 2 words? Three? Four? At what point are portions of a song copyrighted.

For a business venture like this, I would think it well worth it to pay for an hour of an attorney's time to get clear direction on it.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 27, 2006, 07:56 AM
    If your intention is that it be recognised as Marley's lyrics, then you would be better off to secure the copyright holders permission. They may grant it with a licensing fee that you pay for the priviledged use of it.
    sky68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Aloha and Mahalo,

AjuMatt, ScottGem, rickj and Val for helping with my question... I will begin researching who has rights to Marley's lyrics... I had a feeling it would be illegal... his lyrics is pretty original... thanks again...

Till Next Time,
    sky68
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Jah, Rastafari! :cool:

Jun 27, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sky68
    Aloha and Mahalo,

AjuMatt, ScottGem, rickj and Val for helping with my question...I will begin researching who has rights to Marley's lyrics...I had a feeling it would be illegal...his lyrics is pretty original...thanks again...

Till Next Time,
    sky68
    I think I recall reading somewhere that his son has the rights. You could also try contacting his record label. They may grant you permission for a share of the proceeds ($x per shirt) without any upfront money.
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Side note: That would be Ziggy Marley. I've seen him in concert several times. Pretty good!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

"Belly" in basement sewage line - options? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for looking in. Here is the situation. I had our basement finished 4 years ago to include the addition of a full bath using the existing roughins. We noticed overtime the basement toilet will not drain properly after flushing. We'll have to plunge it and occasionally this has caused the...

Who sings the song "brown liquor in a dirty glass"? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the song "BROWN LIQUOR IN A DIRTY GLASS" ?

View more questions Search