Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdnor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Fire - no renter's insurance - negligent landlord
    We suffered an apartment fire and lost almost everything we own. Among those lost items were antiques, electronics, all of our wedding gifts taken out of the boxes a few days before, homemade quilts, paintings, etc. The owners were using acetone to dissolve varnish on a badly refinished wood floor instead of sanding like they shoyulde have. The fumes hit the pilot light and exploded. We do not have renter's insurance. Can we sue the landlord since the cause of the explosion was his? How do we figure out the value of our possessions with no receipts?

Thank you for any answers you toss my way.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pdnor
    We suffered an apartment fire and lost almost everything we own. Among those lost items were antiques, electronics, all of our wedding gifts taken out of the boxes a few days before, homemade quilts, paintings, etc. The owners were using acetone to dissolve varnish on a badly refinished wood floor instead of sanding like they shoyulde have. The fumes hit the pilot light and exploded. We do not have renter's insurance. Can we sue the landlord since the cause of the explosion was his? How do we figure out the value of our possessions with no receipts?

Thank you for any answers you toss my way.

You could get statements of like value IF you can prove what items you owned. For example, if I claimed that my fur coat was stolen, had no receipt and presented a statement of value it would be disallowed IF no one ever saw me wearing a fur coat.

The landlord was certainly negligent and you can certainly sue him.

Things of emotional or sentimental value have little actual "cash" value.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Have you received a report from the fire marshall? You'll need that report to prove fault.

Then I'd say, sue away. You'll need to retain a good attorney, because I would imagine the dollar amount of your damages will exceed the small claims limit. You can call your local Justice of the Peace or Magistrate to find out the limit. You will most likely be needing to go after the landlord's insurance company. His property coverage won't cover your belongings, but his liability coverage should cover your damages.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Like rockinmommy said, you need proof that the fire was in fact caused by the landlord's negligence. Did your landlord inform you they were using acetone prior to him/her using it? Was there a specific reason they used chemicals rather than sanding it down? Were you home while they were doing the work to the flooring?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Another question to answer: Who lit the pilot light? If the landlord had turned it off, and you lit it, it changes the situation entirely.

And, without receipts, you are going to have to prove the value of the items that were lost. One hopes that you have lots of pictures, or can get affidavits from people who saw you using the items. Otherwise you can claim anything, and judges do sometimes frown on you if it seems like you are bloating your claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter's insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Is renter's insurance coverage mandatory in Florida?

Will my homeowners insurance still pay our losses from our house fire if we foreclose [ 3 Answers ]

We had a garage fire in December and our house has not been rebuilt yet. Our Public Adjuster is working with our Insurance provider and they haven't come to an amount agreement. In the meantime my husband and I are broke and we can't afford our house payments anymore. At the time of purchase we...

Car + Insurance +Fire [ 3 Answers ]

Have a question.. I really get kind of paranoid in some situations, so I wanted to clear it up. First.. I bought a car through a credit union. They financed me for $8k. I got behind two months because of troubles with work . I was living off savings and trying to keep spending as small as...

California Landlord, Tenant Fire [ 3 Answers ]

1- I rented to my friend and her boyfriend. I knew it was probably a mistake but I was trying to help them out. They had bad credit and no deposit. 2- Current record, rent has been consistently late, but right now current and less than half the deposit. 3- Fire broke out on porch while they...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search