Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teastalk Posts: 299, Reputation: 21

Feb 25, 2009, 12:19 PM
    When an Ex comes back and the Relationship Breaks up Again
    Why does it hurt the second time around when the ex comes back and the relationship breaks up again? Shouldn't it hurt less this time around?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 12:32 PM

It hurt more for me (second time)... once it breaks down for the second time, I think you TRULY realize that it is OVER... for good. The first time brings upon that, "Oh..we will get back together thing." The second time, you still think that, as you are denial, but when it doesn't happen, you really hit rock bottom.

It is like being shot, letting the wound heal, then taking a knife and reopening that same wound.

This is just my experience though. I am sure others have a different take on it. You can't use the word "should" or "shouldn't" in these situations either... it all depends on how YOU handle it.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:24 PM

I thought it was easier the second time because, like kctiger said, that's when you know it's over. I couldn't even convince myself it would work again, and I still think that way. We won't change and we just bring out the worst in one another.

It's still a lousy feeling, but it's one you can shake easier than if you weren't sure how your ex felt about you.

EDIT
    Come to think of it, I reconnected three or four times with girls I dated or had some sort of history with. The second time around always reminded me why we didn't jive in the first place, and now that I know I can be their friend or forget about them completely and it won't make a difference. But, there is one I'm still unsure of...
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 01:27 PM

I agree, second time is when you realize it just won't work anymore

Feb 25, 2009, 06:34 PM

I would feel better if I knew why we didn't work out in the first place.
    UnluckyDucky Posts: 210, Reputation: 110

Feb 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
    I would feel better if I knew why we didn't work out in the first place.
    When we get hurt trhough a break up we are so concerned about the "Why" that we forget to look at the "Why Not?". From what I remember from reading about your whole situation through your other posts, your relationship was far from healthy with you being mistreated on several different levels by your ex.

Try shifting perspective on your situation - once you come to the realizations that can be gained it will make you feel much better than ever than finding out the real answer to "Why".
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 06:55 PM

Well you never should have done it, you know that the second time round.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 07:16 PM

Pain is pain... maybe it feels worse the second time around because now you are kicking yourself for allowing it to happen again.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 08:19 AM

The others are right hurt misery and pain sucks, but that's what break ups are about.

It just never gets easier no matter how many times you go through it.

Twice with the same person, is one to many though.
    zeeniee Posts: 341, Reputation: 63

Feb 26, 2009, 02:28 PM

For me it was more hurtful the second time round, as when we got back together- I really placed a lot of effort and heart in sorting things out- which we did- only for him to make a lousey same mistake and to watch the relationship fall again- a million times harder... iguess I tried hard to make the changed for the better- the ex did not make that level of effort and just took things for granted... it hurts more as you realise it is so over - all that effort for what? Could have spent that time with another person who would have valued me more.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:36 PM

I always thought the heart break hurt worse the time you are in it... kindof like childbirth, the further you are from the event, the less likely you remember how painful the experience, time has dulled that pain.

So every heartbreak hurts the worse when it is fresh.

Feb 26, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyDucky View Post
    Try shifting perspective on your situation - once you come to the realizations that can be gained it will make you feel much better than ever than finding out the real answer to "Why".
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I want to shift my perspective, but can you please explain more? I am not understanding, Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Florida law regarding breaks and lunch breaks [ 17 Answers ]

I am searching for the law pertaining to Florida breaks and lunch breaks for at will employees. Thank you

When men ask for a break in a relationship do they come back? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 2.5 years has been going through some rough patch for about a year now. We moved to a new city and he recently told me that he is confused about what he wants out of life itself. He added that although we had talked about getting married and starting a family, he is not sure that...

How do I get our relationship back? [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is my boyfriend has lost all interest in me. He doesn't touch me or anything . The only thing he does do is he says that he loves me, but we haven't been close in over a year. He spends all his time talking to a girl online that lives in china. He tells me its just harmless but the way...

How to get girl back in relationship? [ 11 Answers ]

OK hey! It's bfig... look me and my girlfriend have been dating for 5 months... we were happy and really had no problems. One day she told me that she needed to talk. When we talked that night she told me she was starting to feel confused about our relationship. I then became scared and ask...

Getting stuff back from bad relationship [ 1 Answers ]

I am not really sure where to ask this question, but this looks as good as any. Here is my sitch: I own a house with my 'X' both our names are on the mortgage and ownership of house. We broke up middle of January and after that he went kind of nuts. To make a very long story short he has once...

View more questions Search