Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    housebound5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Preparing Journal Entries
    Prepare the journal entries on December 31, 2002, May 11, 2003, and June 12, 2003.

Presented below are two independent situations.
    (a) On March 3, Lisa Ceja Appliances sells $700,000 of its receivables to Horatio Factors Inc. Horatio Factors assesses a finance charge of 3% of the amount of receivables sold. Prepare the entry on Lisa Ceja Appliances’ books to record the sale of the receivables.

(b) On May 10, Worth Company sold merchandise for $4,000 and accepted the customer’s Firstar Bank MasterCard. At the end of the day, the Firstar Bank MasterCard receipts were deposited in the company’s bank account. Firstar Bank charges a 4% service charge for credit card sales. Prepare the entry on Worth Company’s books to record the sale of merchandise.

Can anyone tell me how to start this problem? If I can just get started, I won't have any trouble.

Thanks,
    housebound5
    acoello Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Accounts receivables
    Cash
    acoello Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 11:35 AM
    the accounts affected by the journal entry made by x company to record the finance charge are?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Factoring... hmm, intermediate topic. I'd have to look that up. It's not difficult. It's just that there's a couple of different ways to do this and I don't remember which one "factoring" is.

As for the second one, a bank credit card is considered cash because it ends up in the bank accounts so quickly. The sale is still $4000 and needs to be recorded at the full amount. Since they're taking the 4% charge off (high charge!) right away, then figure out the 4% and charge it to something like Credit Card Charges, or whatever your book is calling them. The difference would be the cash you got.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal Entries [ 1 Answers ]

In January 2005 the accountant for Delaware supply Corporation estimated the company's net income for the year as 556,000. A year-end income statement reported actual net income of 570,000. 1. make the general journal entries to record quarerly payments of the company's estimated income taxes...

Journal Entries [ 2 Answers ]

I have two more questions I would like you please check for me if you could. Question 1: Received a telephone bill for August, which is to be paid next month, $160. DB Accounts Payable & Credit Telephone Expense Question 2: Completed the series of advertisements for Marsh Tire Company...

Journal entries [ 2 Answers ]

I have a project due soon and I am having a very hard time with some of the journal entries. How do you account for shipping costs?

View more questions Search