Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfang00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2003, 03:47 PM
    Delete file from My Music
    Any Expert,
    I got a problem to delete a file from My Music folder. It is a AVI video file about 192MB size. I think I accidentally downloaded it to My Music folder a couple months ago. But when I tried to delete it, it always gives the error dialog that like "cannot delete[file name]: It is being used by other person or program... " But even I closed all the programs(except the window explorer of course), still got the same error. I wonder is there any way (window utility or tool) that I can use to find out which hidden program or process is using this file OR some possible other reasons I can't delete, rename or move this file. It's really frustrated after I thought I tried everything but stuck there.
    BTW, this is a laptop running Window XP home edition. All the other files within My Music folder are just fine.

Thanks! Waiting for any advice... :(

psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 15, 2003, 05:27 PM
    Hmm...

Just ignore this next bit. It probably won't help :)

[hr]Normally I would suggest a DOS or GNU/Linux boot disk to manually delete the file when windows is not running.

However, because you are running windows XP, you are probably using NTFS, microsoft's new file system. Linux can read but not write (safely) to NTFS, and I don't think DOS has any NTFS support at all.

You can find out what filesystem you are running by double-clicking "my computer", right clicking "C:" and then clicking "properties." It will then say something like

Type: local disk
    Filesystem: NTFS

If it says FAT32 and not NTFS, then you may be in luck. However, if your computer came with win xp, then you are almost certainly using NTFS.
    [hr]

Okay the next bit might help :)

You can see what is running on your system by pressing ctrl+alt+del and clicking the "processes" tab.

Do you know what the AVI file is? Is it just a regular movie file?

Also take a look at what is in your "startup" folder in the start menu under "programs."

You might want to try starting in "safe mode." Under windows 9x, you could enter safe mode by pressing F8 when the "starting windows" message appears. I'm not sure how to do it under win xp. :(
    In safe mode, many programs will not be started, so your mystery program may not be loaded.

If you do find a way to delete it, rename it first to make sure the program that mysteriously loads it doesn't crash and bluescreen your windows. :)

Just my $0.02

~psi42
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2003, 08:41 AM
    HI,
    This might or might not solve this problem, but it's worth a try.
    Why not download/install SpyBot? It's a free spyware/advertising program that will scan your computer, and safely remove any programs that are classified as "spyware".

http://www.omemo.be/spybot/

SpyBot 1.2 , free program, much better than AdAware, will remove all spyware/advertising when you tell it to, leaving any parts that are needed by other applications to run correctly. When installed, click on the button on the bottom of its window "check for problems". It takes about 3 minutes to scan everything, then lists with checkmarks items that you can safely delete. Other items are listed that you can also delete, if you wish.
    You can also find this free program at: www.cnet.com , then click on "downloads". In the search area at top, type in "spybot", without quotes, then click on Search. Click on its link, read the user opinions, and you may download it from here.
    Works with all windows versions.

Sorry, this is the only suggestion I have.
    fredg
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
    MarcusOH ,hi, I think I know what the prob is. In fact, I have this exact prob. It doesn't really matter what os file system you have. The problem has to with your remaining availabled memory and temp files. Back to your original question to find out what's running in the background, and therefore, to remove any files you don't need at the moment, hold these buttons and continue to them down in this order: CTRL, ALT,

Aug 18, 2003, 03:18 PM
    MarcusOH, hi, Back to your original question to find out what's running in the background, and therefore, to remove any files you don't need at the moment, hold these buttons and continue to hold them down in this order: CTRL, ALT, & DEL. Click on the 2nd TAB that says " PROCESSES". Please remove as many of the applications or programs you don't need at the moment, especially those sitting in the lower right hand corner of the task bar of the screen. Once you've done that, now you need to really , really, clean out your temp files. I suggest avoiding xp's own built in "disk cleanup" program under system tools, because it really sucks. Use a 3rd party prog like SYSYETM MECHANIC & WINDOW WASHER. Then reboot. Then , do that crtl-alt-del clearing again, and you should be able to remove that very large 192MB .avi file. If not, please make sure you are not using any 3rd party codec or region killer software that may be tied in to DIVX or windows media player. Hope this helps. 8) :-*. Incidentally, if you would like to use xp safe mode, you can still get into it by pressing F8 between the time after the computer does the post test, mem test, or the like in the beginning when the PC 1st boot up & before you see the xp logo or logon screen.
    mfang00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2003, 07:11 PM
    Thank you all! Especially Elina. It seems your way is working. :D I still don't know which process this file tighted with. But finally I got it gone.

This is my first to use this forum. But it's a nice place to get help!

Thanks again.

Aug 19, 2003, 06:56 AM
    MarcusOH,hi, well you're welcome ;). I'm glad that you're glad, and I'm glad as well that I was able to pass along any tips or tricks that I learned from someone else. As a matter of fact, indeed, I got it from the exact open learning forum like this one not too long ago. My first exposure to this kind of forum, believe it or not, was this very same one, only back then it was called www.askme.com. Anyway, just about everyone here has good intentions to help each other, because it sure beats paying the standard $50/hr PC repair rate that you otherwise would be charged for actual in-person physical help ;) Take care!
    Sparda Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2004, 04:52 PM
    Even thow your problem has been solved I think I know which program was stopping you from deleting it, the most dreded of all programs... explorer.exe, yes that's right explorer (for no reason it's just a bug that explorer has) can stop you from deleting files even one it doesn't recognis like pk3's and php's but the esyist way to delete files that do this is to first open command prompt go to the dir that the file is in (this can proov difficult if a dir (dir = directory, more commanly known as folder) has a space in it's name but to navigate bettween dir's you need to know theas commands "cd \" will take you to your home dir (usualy C:\) "CD *dir name*" will take you to the dir you typed in and "CD.." will take you back 1 dir if you go to the wrong one by mistake and "dir" will give you a list of the files and folders in your current dir, once your in the dir that the file you want to delete is in you need to use taskmanger to close explorer, once you have done this your desktop icons and taskbar will go, don't panic we will get them back in a min, now it's time to delete the file, in the prompt window type "del *filename, (see downpage for more info on this part)*" and the file is GONE!
    now to get the explorer running again in task maneger go file>run and then type "explorer" and then clikc OK and vwela the file is gone, there was no restart involved and there was nothing complicted, well it's slightly complicated but once you know how to do it it's much esiyer and faster then elina's way, I helped ;D

DOWNPAGE: when you enter the file name for the file you want to delete it MUST include the file extension other wise prmpt won't find the file, for exampel a movie file mite have the file extenstion .avi, mpg or .mpeg.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't delete .dll file [ 5 Answers ]

I downloaded Thunderbird 1.6.0 after much delays and restarts. Tried to install it But got a 'pop-up' from 7-ZIP "Unspecified error." I don't use 7-ZIP but it is on my machine. Tried to delete it but was denied as "it was in use." I nibbled at the files, deleting each segment one by one. Got it...

How to delete the core40.dll file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone , I installed developer 2000 and now I need to uninstall it . I manually deleted all the files in the bin. But a few dll files are still there.. like core40.dll file... so how do you remove them ? It says... " disk is write protected ."

Can't delete album folder from My Music. [ 3 Answers ]

I was having problems playing songs on Musicmatch Jukebox, from one of the cds I ripped to My Music. I tried to delete the artist's folder but it won't let me (cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk). I opened this folder and saw two folders with the name of the album on...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search