Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jham_lindow Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Creating DOS Disk With Network Capability.
    I currently am using OS X, but I have a machine in my room running XP and I want to create a DOS boot disk with the files it has that has capability with either a Broadcom wireless card or a Netgear WG111v2 USB. I am currently doing this with 98SE DOS files and I wanted more tools with more compatibility. Any ideas? Sorry, not exactly about Windows.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 4, 2008, 09:21 AM
    It is unlikely you will be able to do this because all of the new hardware is Plug-N-Play. Very few of the newer network cards offer DOS compatible drivers. And if they did, the files are so large now that you can not fit the drivers and TCP/IP stack onto a single boot disk.

Some network cards offer a Boot to LAN capability in which you can start the machine up and connect to network.

Take a look at Windows PE 2.0. The PE stands for Preinstallation Environment. You can boot to Windows XP and run the OS from a CD. It is often used for diagnostics and recovery purposes. I have a custom CD with some programs installed into it as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable hard disk disk not opening [ 7 Answers ]

I inserted my portable hard disk in the usb drive and before opening scanned it for viruses.after about half the scan the scanning got stuck at one point.at that instant all programs became non responsive. I then removed my portable disk immediately.then all programs became responsive. But when I...

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Help w/ dos [ 3 Answers ]

I want to coppy all of the files from my win95 dos floppy to the hard drive, but I don't know how. When I boot, I get the C:\> command promp but there is only 1 file on this drive. There was a similar posting to this, but I did not understand it. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thnakx ...

View more questions Search