Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SickTan Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 13, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Pain in lower right side/back
    For around the past 2 months, I've been having pains in my lower right side, I thought it was my appendix, so I went to the ER, they did a urinalysis and Blood Test, the first time they took 4 tubes, the second they only took one. They said it was not my Appendix and it might be a viral infection, But the pain is more then a viral infection. The pain is just a little under the right side ribcage and extends around the hip to my back, It hurts most after I eat something or move around too much, at first it was a come and go dull aching pain, but lately it has become more of a constant, sometimes to painful to do ANYTHING pain. ER doctor gave me muscle relaxants(No idea why :confused: ) They helped a LITTLE bit for a while, then stopped. I am not able to get into my doctor until Thursday, and I think it may be something serious, any ideas on what it could be?

Quick Edit: I have not experienced any vomiting/diarhea. Just these pains.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
    I have chronic back pain but I won't try to guess what this is. I agree it sounds worrisome. Don't give up trying to find out what it is. I don't think I'd wait until Thursday to go back in. If it hurts this much, you should be seen sooner. Doctors respond to being told that the pain is keeping you awake at night. If that's true, say so. In any case, don't downplay the pain.

By the way, don't get hooked on the muscle relaxant, especially if it's valium or similar (awful to get off of). It doesn't sound like they are doing any good anyway. They probably helped at first partly through placebo effect, partly just by relaxing you generally, helping you sleep. The doctor gave that to you because he probably thought you just had muscle spasms, but the fact that the muscle relaxant is not working suggests it's something else. You need answers and you deserve better pain relief soon. Make them keep trying and good luck!
    Asking

Oct 14, 2007, 03:25 AM
    Well, I went to the ER twice, I would go back but every time its about a 4 hour wait, just to hear "Oh its a viral infection and will go away in time". And the pills he gave me were a small dosage and aren't addictive, plus he only gave me enough to last maybe a week or two. I think I'm just going to tough it out till Thursday, if it does get worse I'll go back to the ER. Thanks for the reply.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Hello Sick:

Well, of course, I don't know. However, I'll bet you're passing a kidney stone.

excon
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Have them check your gall bladder. Are you overweight, in your 40's, family have a history of gall bladder removal, eat a greasey diet, have bouts of indigestion, female? Sometimes the pain can shoot up to the arm and shoulder. Mine was the right side that the stomach and back, arm and shoulder pains were on. Through the internet and my familys history, I pretty much new what was wrong with me. They did an ultra sound because they would not take a laymans word for it. A few weeks later mine was gone (out patient surgery) and the pain stopped immediately and the nausea stopped about a month later. Btw doc said he had not seen too many that were more diseased than mine.

Oct 14, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Im only 15, male, and not overweight, Im about average weight for my age/height. I have an all right diet, it could be better, I did go to the gym a lot so at first we all thought it was a pulled muscle, but I'll have them check all these things.
    sonyadcr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Doctor I am hurting in my lower right side towards the back but yet towards the stomach area. There are dull aching sharp pains. Could this be serious? Thank you in advance for your reply
    ahurry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SickTan
    For around the past 2 months, I've been having pains in my lower right side, I thought it was my appendix, so I went to the ER, they did a urinalysis and Blood Test, the first time they took 4 tubes, the second they only took one. They said it was not my Appendix and it might be a viral infection, But the pain is more then a viral infection. The pain is just a little under the right side ribcage and extends around the hip to my back, It hurts most after I eat something or move around too much, at first it was a come and go dull aching pain, but lately it has become more of a constant, sometimes to painful to do ANYTHING pain. ER doctor gave me muscle relaxants(No idea why :confused: ) They helped a LITTLE bit for a while, then stopped. I am not able to get into my doctor until Thursday, and I think it may be something serious, any ideas on what it could be?

Quick Edit: I have not experienced any vomiting/diarhea. Just these pains.

I am having the same pain but I don't know what it is either. I thought I was pregnant because my breast are sore and I was sexualy active but I took a test and it came up negative.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Pains like these can be serious or nothing more than gas or a tight muscle. The kidneys are in the middle back, right were the ribs end above your waist. So a kidney infection could cause such pain. If you are experiencing significant pain, keep going back to the doctors until they figure out what's wrong.

Good luck!
    ftsben1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 12:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ahurry View Post
    i am having the same pain but i dont know what it is either. i thought i was pregnant because my breast are sore and i was sexualy active but i took a test and it came up negative.
    I am not pregnant because I am male but am having the same pain in lower right side of and in the fron just under rib cage ?
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2009, 12:16 AM

Is this severe pain?

If it is here, you might have appendicitis.
    AussieThree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Sounds like it could be an ulcer. I've had pain like that on both sides and each time I had a gastroscopy and they found an active ulcer. Especially if you have more pain after eating.
    finis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 05:40 AM
    Well I have it too, also at most times it is tender to even touch, the brush of a finger across it , shows me how sore it is. I also have been to the ER, twice last week, but didn't find the problem, ( go figure) Can't see me Dr. till next week. This has been going on now for 3 weeks or so. They done blood test, cat scan, though it might be a stone, but after cat scan said no, didn't see anything.
    brickslogan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 10:56 AM

Hi you posted this a while ago. Have you found your answer since then? Hope your feeling better. I am going through the same thing and can't find the answers...
    finis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brickslogan View Post
    Hi you posted this a while ago. Have you found your answer since then? Hope your feeling better. I am going through the same thing and can't find the answers...
    Hi,
    Went back to Dr. on Wed., now they are saying they are going to look
    One more time for kidney stone, since there was a trace of blood in the urine, if not stones then we have to look and see if it is **cancer** ,
    That scares me to death for sure... How long have you had this pain??

finis
    hassellmarl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 03:23 PM
    I have got achy right side myself by my right hip , I had the runs a week and 4 days ago when to doctors and they think it was gastric flu been bk to my doctor who examed my tummy etc and told me nothing to worry about I just worryed its apendix but everyone including doctors keep saying that if it was apendix then I wouldn't have achy I'd have extreme pain :( I dunna no I feel so scared and worryed all the time :( any advice me much gratefull
    amg726 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
    I am so glad I stumbled across this page looking for answers.I am having the same problem with pain on my lower right side of my back. I went to the er they took blood urine test an a ct scan said I had some blood in my urine but no stones 3 days later I am still in the same pain and VERY scared. I would love to know what others have found out.
    crowethabeast Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 10:32 PM
    I have the same type of pain, I got up to go to school and my back had a shap pain. But in the past I have played street football and poped my back and a few ribs out of place, I'm about 6'0 and about 230 pounds, also I do about 100 sit ups evey other night. The cause might be a pulled muscle or my lower back has poped out of place, but it could be my kidneys also because I haven't been doing regular bowel movements. Dose anyone have an idea what might really be wrong ?
    gatgarr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 09:08 PM
    This is definitely due to the gall bladder, over time excessive build up of buttery or greasy food products will create small or large stones in your gall bladder called gall stones, gall stones can get caught in bile ducts and cause pain if you move around or after eating something, also the pain can come and go, it will be a dull ache and will usually stick around for sometimes half an hour to an hour, it sucks, I know, there are cleanses such as the tea spoon of olive oil + the juice of 2 lemons... drink 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon for 2 days and those will dissolve the gall stones, OR if the gall bladder has too many or too large of gall stones in it you may have to go in for surgery... sorry for the bad news, but I hope this helps
    jellero Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Sep 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
    My back is feeling the same but I got a load of firewood last Thursday. That's when it started. Have you lifted anything heavy? Could just be a strain rather than a rotten internal organ that is about to kill you. Think simple...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in lower right back side, accompanied by nausea and fever [ 10 Answers ]

I started feeling a sharp pain in my lower right back/side at 5am this morning that woke me from sleep. I took two advils and fell asleep by 6am. In the morning I felt OK. I showered and went to work. Around mid morning I started feeling the pain again. I started to feel a wave a nausea around...

Pain in lower right side and back [ 1 Answers ]

I am 31 yrs old and I have been bleeding for 5 weeks now along with the bleeding I have a sharp pain in my lower right side that goes to my back. I have been taking otc medicine for the pain. I have also been very nauseous. I went to the obgyn dr and she put me on birth control and told me to come...

Lower Left Back and Side Pain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Everyone – I am having some odd symptoms and hope someone can lend some insight or have had similar experiences which they can share. Here’s the details; I have felt weak and sluggish in the past weeks, although feeling better now in that sense I have developed medium to intense level...

Pain in my lower right side of my back [ 4 Answers ]

Im female and I'm experiencing a pain in my lower right side of my back.and I don't think it's a kidney infection because it doesn't hurt when I go toilet.. my back hurts when I move about and it's a bruise type pain that affects me.. I haven injured my back or anything and I haven been playing...

Lower right side.periodic pain [ 2 Answers ]

I have been having peiodic pain in my lower right side right below my ribs, above my hip, and more towards my stomach than back. The feeling is almost cramp like. So anyhoo just wondering if this should be of concern? My liver, or kidneys, appendix?

View more questions Search