Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmh383388 Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Can sea fish live in lake ?
    If I brought a fish from a sea and put it in a lake, would it survive ?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 08:03 PM

Not likely. Even if you put it in an fish tank, matched all of the conditions of the sea somehow, it probably wouldn't survive... this is mainly due to the perfect conditions at sea.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 10:24 PM

Hi, pmh383388!

That would also depend on whether the fish was a salt water or freshwater fish and whether conditions were relatively the same where it was placed.

If it was placed in some controlled environment in the lake, where the conditions of the sea were duplicated, then it's possible that it might survive.

But, if the conditions weren't the same, then I would agree that it's not likely that it would survive.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 05:47 AM

I assume that you are asking about moving from salt water to fresh water. Very few fish can survive in both fresh water and salt water. The few species who can live in both (like salmon) must take time to adapt when moving between the two environments. Here is an explanation:

Freshwater fish in salt water
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2008, 08:10 AM

I have known of salt water fish that have been adapted to well water.

When I was younger I remember many of my friends used to have ocean fish (small ones) in their wells,and they do survive in the well for quite a long time.

Maybe well water where I am has something in it that is common to salt water as we are so close to the ocean.
    Maybe a lake close to the ocean may have something in them that could possibly aid in salt water fish to survive in a lake?

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 04:50 AM

I did an experiment on one fish, or rather two types that is available where I am. One failed but the other succeeded. The project consisted to acclimatising sea water fishes into fresh water and was done by transferring the fishes from sea water to fresh water while gradually decreasing the salt comcentration of the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can goldfish live in fish bowls? [ 14 Answers ]

I went to walmart to get a fish, a betta fish actually, and they were all out so I was just going to get a goldfish instead and put it in a fish bowl but the lady was like "Oh, it won't survive in a fish bowl it has to be in a tank." But, the fish was full grown and it was just as big as a betta...

Running power in my lake lot [ 7 Answers ]

I own a lake lot & have 60 amp service to my power pole. I would like to run a buried line from the pole to my motorhome & bunk house. I would like to supply the power as such; 1 line (20 amps) to the motor home (50 to 75ft) - to supply power to motorhome with the breaker on the power pole 1...

What can betta fish live with? [ 2 Answers ]

I used to have a girl betta fish and she lived with other fish and people now are saying that bettas can't live with any other fish. If so, what can they live with because I feel bad having my soon to be betta living all alone. I'm getting it tomorrow!

Lake Association Mandate [ 64 Answers ]

Our family owns a lake property on a private lake, which is governed by an association. The land that my father purchased in 1991 is not now nor ever has been part of this association. Over the last few years that association has been creating new regulations on the lake that everyone is supposed...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search