Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kev_888 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2016, 03:27 PM
    My uncle is diagnosed with Glaucoma, help!
    My uncle had recently been diagnosed with Glaucoma and his doctor has suggested three kinds of drugs to treat his condition which are: Timoptic XE, Istalol, and Betoptic S. However, these drugs could be risky as he is obese, suffers from diabetes type II, and has a family history of cancer and heart disease. Please help! I'm no doctor here and I'm not sure which drug out of those three would be the best to use. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 03:36 PM
    The doctor left it up to you or your uncle to choose one of the three? Does the doctor know your uncle's medical history?

Jan 13, 2016, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The doctor left it up to you or your uncle to choose one of the three? Does the doctor know your uncle's medical history?
    Yes, basically the doctor suggested us with the three and we did talk to the doctor about it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 03:58 PM
    The doctor is the only one qualified to make such a choice and I find it really odd he would leave that choice up to unqualified laymen such as you or your uncle. I would seek a second opinion from a more professional doctor myself.

Jan 13, 2016, 04:30 PM
    Well the only reason I came here for online help is because we are currently unable to seek another doctor at the moment and we don't live close to one. I don't have a drivers license. My uncle does but he can't drive anymore because of his problem he can't see well.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kev_888 View Post
    Well the only reason I came here for online help is because we are currently unable to seek another doctor at the moment and we don't live close to one. I don't have a drivers license. My uncle does but he can't drive anymore because of his problem he can't see well.
    Do you have a phone? Call the doctor. Remind him about your uncle's medical situation and ask him to prescribe the best drug for him.

How will you go to the pharmacy?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 04:50 PM
    There are no doctors on this site, not a single one. Even if there were, without knowing your Uncles medical history, there's no way a doctor could even give an educated guess on which medication would be best.

The doctor that is actually seeing your Uncle would be the best person to make the decision on which medication he should be taking. The fact that he left the decision up to your Uncle, means you need to find a better doctor!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 08:25 PM
    It is the doctors job to decide what is best. Other determining factors are often, which medication is affordable, does health insurance pay for any of them. I have had to change medication for those reasons in the past.

But in the end, the doctor, (at least any I have ever had in America) always told you which they felt was best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glaucoma [ 2 Answers ]

:-/This week my opthomologist told me I have glaucoma. He said to come back in a month. That was all he said and I'm kinda' scared. Iresearched some online, I don't fit any profiles. Is this a normal way for a diagnosis to be made? Thank you

About Glaucoma, CM! [ 7 Answers ]

You know when you go get your vision checked, and you have to take that test for glaucoma where they puff air in your eyes? The test EVERYONE hates? How does that help them know if you have glaucoma or not?

Canine Glaucoma [ 1 Answers ]

This year I had to have Cocoas eye removed because of glaucoma,the eye would nearly double in size and she was in pain,no meds. Other than pain helped.I did'nt let it go for long either.I had the choice of having her sedated and having the fluid drained or complete removal.I choose removal and I...

What is glaucoma? [ 4 Answers ]

What is it and how can it be treated? Is it curable? Symptoms?

View more questions Search