Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CC_KITTEN2254 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2014, 11:18 AM
    How do I ask my mom for a bra?
    Hi, I'm 11 and I think I need a bra but, my mom is REALLY enthusiastic about this suff and she would FREAK OUT, so I need help on how to ask her.
    Thank you everyone who answers.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 19, 2014, 11:20 AM
    my mom is REALLY enthusiastic about this suff and she would FREAK OUT
    That doesn't make any sense.

Assuming your mum is of the female persuasion, then she's gone through the same thing.
    Parents know ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2014, 12:48 PM
    Show your mom how your chest looks in a snug shirt and ask if she thinks you need one.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 20, 2014, 05:24 AM
    I understand your need to keep this low-key with your mother, and not make it into a big deal. Your first bra is a very personal thing, and best kept on the quiet side. I think you're saying your mom would make a big deal out of it, and that would embarrass you, especially in the bra department of a store.

Any major department store has women trained in selling bras. Many stores also have bra fitters/consultants. I was one for many years. Ideally, you could call a store you'd like to shop at, and ask for the bra department. Speak to them, and ask if they could help you find the right bra, and that it is your first one.

It will save time and stop you from choosing a bra (or your mom choosing a bra) just to get it over with.

Bras are dependent on two main measurements. It is important to be measured properly. Women who sell bras know which areas are best for which category, which includes first bras, mastectomy bras, exercise bras, back support bras, etc. etc. You don't have to guess where to find what you need, or what size you are- ask for an appointment to come in to be measured.

It can't just fit 'okay' because it will pinch, stretch, and dig into your shoulders if it isn't right. Take the time with a knowledgeable person, and find the right size, and fit.

Maybe make some phone calls first. Make sure where you're going that someone will help you. After you have established that, then let your mom know that you've done your homework, and you have a plan to buy bras. Set a date, and then when you get there, your mom can go and shop the rest of the store while you take care of your business.

Chances are your mom isn't all that familiar with bras. Most women aren't. It is not uncommon to see women wearing bras 3 sizes too small, or that doesn't have enough support, and bras that are uncomfortable because it's a bad fit, and the bra is 25 years old.

As to your mother's expected reaction, I say find a quiet time and sit down with her. Tell her you'd really appreciate her not making a big deal out of this, and discuss how you're going to go about getting past this hurdle of actually getting a bra. My guess is she will totally understand, because not that long ago, she was in the same boat as you are now.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell my mom I need a bra [ 6 Answers ]

Me and mom are not close but I need to ask to go bra shopping I need a bra before school starts :(

How to ask my mom for a bra [ 3 Answers ]

I am ten years of age and my breasts are budding. My mom got hers when she was 13. I am a early maturer and I am the person who really needs one right now. I want to ask my mom for one but I'm to scared what she says. We have already had the talk about my period and my breast are going to bud and...

How to ask my mom for a bra? [ 27 Answers ]

I am eleven and I want a bra my boobs um... Stick out my shirt a bit and I tried on one of my sisters bras and they fit it was padded and the training bra fit well too by the way I hate talking about those things even about getting new underwear HELP!!

How do I tell my mom I need a bra [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am 11, my mom and I aren't exactly close, all my life I have been hideing my feeligns and letting them out whe I'm alone, so my parents don't expect me to ask questions like can we go shopping for bras, which I really have to, what do I do?? :( Bablybluz

How do I ask my mom if I need a bra [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I am 11 and I just want to ask my mom if when could I get a bra but she always says no. I need help to show my mom that I need a bra. How dob I tel her?

View more questions Search