Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Runforyourmoney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Sears Model 917.256524 Lawn tractor 15.5 HP
    I have a 15.5 Hp Craftsman lawn tractor. It starts fine but when you push the blade lever up to engage the blades the mower dies. Also if you let out on the brake/clutch pedel the mower stops. Note: the blade safety switch is OK and so is the clutch safety switch as is the seat safety switch. Any ideas
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2006, 09:39 PM
    How did you test those switches?
    Runforyourmoney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
    I used an ohm meter to check the safety switches. I pulled the conectors off the switches and checked each switch. The clutch/brake switch and the blade switch have 4 prongs. I checked from white to white and black to black on each switch when the white side was complete the black side was open. The seat switch showed open when the switch button was out and complete when the switch button was in.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2006, 04:23 PM
    I still believe it to be one of the switches (maybe the seat switch)... But go over the wiring and look for any bare wires that may be grounding to metal.
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Having the same problem with my craftsman lt1000. Have done the same thing. The only ting I noticed was that because the clutch safety switch faces downward in an area that catches a lot of debris, some of this debris had accumulated on the switch and plug. I'm going to waste a little more time perusing this site for possibly more answers, but if I can fix it, I'll let you know what I did.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 04:17 PM

You can start your own post or we can tag along with this 3 year old post. The seat switch is frequently the first to go but that stops you from starting if not in the seat. You don't need an ohn meter a continuity tester will do. Closed swicthes should read circuit and open switches no circuit.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 04:39 PM

Hi,
    I agree. Obvious seat switch problem! Why you say? Is it not common sense that if you do either of the two things that the mower requires the seat to be occupied, i.e. clutch/brake or blade, that the mower does not "know" the seat is occupied.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 02:47 PM
    Let's say you you ohm out the switch and it checks good. I've used mulltimeters on jet aircraft for over 20 years, so knowing how to check circuits is not an issue. Say you unplug the switch and try it, and it still does the same thing. Say you jump the switch and it still does the same thing. Say you also checked the clutch and blade safety switches and it still does the same thing. I don't really suppose that common sense is the central issue here, as that has already been covered. Sometimes it's not just the fuse or the breaker.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 03:05 PM

In a PM you mentioned a possible carb issue. I doubt that this is carb related if it is always killing the engine when you engage the blade. The switch s likely telling the engine not to spin the blade because it thinks you aren't in the seat. Once I had one where the switch was fine but one of the wires had broken. If you swotch is good test the wire for continumity from each end.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 03:33 PM

Hi,
    I agree so far. Two very unusual things I have seen, each limited mostly to certain types of machines.
    The first occurred on the Deere L120-130 family and involved a seat switch that used four wires. The rear wiring harness was not properly protected and would get damaged. Switch checked OK and harness did also. Visual inspection revealed the damage.
    The other was with a machine with an anti-backfire solenoid on the carb. Seat switch checked fine and harness did also. The solenoid would shut and kill engine from starvation. Culprit was the seat switch because it was too sensitive. Lotta "bald" people running around figuring that one out. Took two eletrical probes and two people to get to the bottom of that one. One probe in the seat circuit, one in the solenoid power circuit.
    Just another "little" point to mention. Control can be through the ground as it was on a question I answered a couple of days ago!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

Troybuilt Lawn Tractor [ 6 Answers ]

Mower Runs Fine, Just When I Engage Blades, Will Run For A Min And Then It Will Disengage Blades, What Is The Problem

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

Weedeater lawn tractor [ 7 Answers ]

I have a weedeater lawn tractor age unknown but 5-8 years guessing with a 12.5 briggs engine, went to start it last week and clicking was all I got so tried to manually turn crankshaft and it was froze, this week I got to tinkering with it and was able to turn shaft and it fired up like always,...

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Craftsman lawn tractor that will not move. The clutch works and it goes into gearbut the flat wheel spins and the gear wheel seems too have not enough pressure on it to move. Could this be just a loose drive belt? Thanks, Charlie

View more questions Search