Ask
    dude07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Computers history
    Who invented computers:cool: :
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 04:18 PM
    "Who invented the computer?" is not a question with a simple answer. The real answer is that many inventors contributed to the history of computers and that a computer is a complex piece of machinery made up of many parts, each of which can be considered a separate invention.

Here is a timeline from 1939 to 1994.

Computer History Museum - Timeline of Computer History

For example, 1939 - Hewlett Packard is Founded. David Packard and Bill Hewlett found Hewlett-Packard in a Palo Alto, California garage. Their first product, the HP 200A Audio Oscillator rapidly becomes a popular piece of test equipment for engineers. Walt Disney Pictures ordered eight of the 200B model to use during the creation of the movie “Fantasia.”

1940 - The Complex Number Calculator is completed. In 1939, Bell Labs researcher George Stibitz improved on his Model-K binary adder prototype to complete the Complex Number Calculator. In 1940, Stibitz demonstrated the CNC at a Dartmouth College conference by performing calculations remotely on the CNC (located in New York City) over special telephone lines. This is considered to be the first remote access computing demonstration.

1941 - Konrad Zuse finishes the Z3 computer. Completed in 1940, the Z3 was an early computer built by German engineer Konrad Zuse. Using 2,300 relays, the Z3 used floating point binary arithmetic and had a 22-bit word length. The original Z3 was destroyed in a bombing raid of Berlin in 1944, though Zuse supervised a reconstruction of the Z3 in the 1960s which is currently on display at the Deutsches Museum in Berlin.

This site presents it in table format:

The History of Computers - Computer History Timeline
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Feb 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Look it up on Wikipedia.

There was the Babbage machine (invented by Charles Babbage) way back in the 19th century, but it was never actually built; then there was the invention of binary mathematics by Liebniz (I forget his first name).. then came transistors.

It's hard to say when the first computer really came into existence but they were around in primitive forms just after WW2.

The first ever true home computer was built by Charles Sinclair - an english inventor - it was called the ZX80 (year 1980) and had a whopping 1k of memory :D
    It might seem silly now, but at the time it was quite a revolution.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 04:22 PM
    It can be argued that the abascus was the first computer.
    Glimpse Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 04:34 PM
    It's John Atanasoff. In 1939 with Berry, the machine was called ABC. There were other calculating devices before that but this one is the first of its kind. He was bulgarian by the way;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to do a scandisk on my PC. I am told that it is better if I put PC in safe mode first. How do I do that?

Computers [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I can hookup one computer to an other computer and download files from one to another even if they are not the same make and how I can do it?

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Computers [ 4 Answers ]

I connect to the web via broadband. Everything is OK for about 15mins then my browser disconnects. I have deleted and reloaded explorer but the fault remains. I have also downloaded avant browser - no difference. When the browser goes off line it does not effect other programmes such as messenger...

View more questions Search