Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ocutts Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Washing raw meat
    Hello, I know that you absolutely have to wash chicken. But when I watch chefs on TV, I've never seen them wash beef, fish and I don't think I've seen them wash pork (could be wrong there). Can someone kind of go down the line with different raw meats and let me know if they should all be washed off.

Thank you so much.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I wash off pork chops because when I don't I usually end up with tiny pieces of bone from when it was cut. I wash of chicken, I do not eat fish that isn't pre breaded and do not wash of beef.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 11:37 AM
    You should rinse all meats.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Actually, the USDA says you should NOT rinse meats:

Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Some consumers think they are removing bacteria from the meat and making it safe. For safety, use a food thermometer to be sure the food has reached a safe minimum internal temperature. Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts, and chops can be cooked to 145 °F. All cuts of pork should reach 160 °F. All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F.

Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?
    mldubose Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Washing chicken is a fool's errand. You just end up contaminating your sinks and potentially your countertops. You may rinse a little bacteria off, but it's not going to make a difference. This advice is a holdover from our mother's age, back when formula was better and holding your children made them depend on you too much.
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Jan 24, 2010, 03:11 PM
    I wash all my meats and pat dry well because if it stays too wet it will take flavor away, and I take everything out of my sinks when going to wash meat then clean with clorox when finished
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2010, 06:53 PM
    I don't wash a thing unless it is a whole chicken or turkey and then I rinse out the insides.
    Or if it accidentally slips out of my hands. WHOOPS:eek::D
    MickSGC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 06:19 PM

Cooking kills all bacteria.

No need to wash! As has been stated.
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Feb 23, 2010, 07:30 PM

That thought is kind of scary. I am just use to doing a quick rinse to everything before cooking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boiled meat [ 1 Answers ]

If I eat the meat that all fat was taken out of it by making soup, would it help me lose weight or not make me gain weight? 2 eggs a day cause weight gain?

Deer Meat [ 6 Answers ]

A man kills a deer and takes it home to cook for dinner. Both he and his wife decide that they won't tell the kids what kind of meat it is, but will give them a clue and let them guess. The kids were eager to know what the meat was on their plates, so they begged their dad for the clue. ...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search