Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Website Front Page Design
    I basically have zero knowledge on how to design web pages. I bought a domain name through Google and tried to design a front page through Google apps. I hated it and found it hard to make it look the way I wanted.

I know how I want the front page to look and would like (if possible) to design it myself in order to save money. Is there software that will allow me to design the page the way I want? Is doing something like creating logins for a web age too advanced for someone like me who knows nothing?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Select and download a Web-page editor. Several simple editors are available for free; Netscape Composer is one. These editors let you see what your site will look like as you build it, so you won't have to learn HTML or other programming languages.
    Usually your Web-page editor will give you specific instructions about options such as naming your site, creating different sections, creating backgrounds, adding links and inserting images.
    Oh make sure you pages are compatible with both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer. Don't get too fancy with CSS or VB Script. Netscape cannot interpret them well, if at all.
    Enjoy!:)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2007, 07:25 AM
    There are loads of WEB page editors out there. Some free, some costing. Some of the easier ones to use are Microsoft Word and Publisher. However, they are only good for simple, non interactive pages.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:26 AM
    ScottGem would you say doing something like having people login and register with the site would require the assistance of a professional?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Other than expensive programs, no... although if you have Microsoft word, you can set up a page how you would like it and then save the file as an html file. Under "view" "Html source" you can select the HTML to use if they require actual script. I use Dreamweaver for my software of choice, but before my company bought this program I had to jimmy a way through word... that is the only way I know without you knowing html. Do you know if you have Microsoft Front page included in your office suite? I don't work on PC often, but I know this worked for us for a time.

Aug 24, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Yes I would. Having a login, especially one where you want to remember the user, would take more than simple HTML coding.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:31 AM
    I used MS Publisher for these two sites.

Answer Center Home Page

And

Mail Depot Home Page

I know virtually nothing about web design. I just played with it until I got something I liked.

Publisher is very user friendly and you can drag and drop easily. I bought Front Page, too and couldn't make it work like I wanted, either.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    ScottGem would you say doing something like having people login and register with the site would require the assistance of a professional?

This makes me think maybe you should look into an open source web application like Dot Net Nuke (DotNetNuke > Home) or Mambo (http://www.mamboserver.com/). These are very easy to learn and extremely easy to maintain wihtout html knowledge. You can read about them on the websites and get support. Last I checked they were free to use... but you need to check and see if your server/domain accepts them. I know for a fact Godaddy will work.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Awesome! Thank you guys so much. I had no idea where to start with any of this or what was worth my time and what was worthless.

Aug 24, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I used MS Publisher for these two sites.
    Nice design, but who is the host for those, they are really slow!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Lowesthosts

I don't have much bandwidth to work with (boss is thrifty!)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    lowesthosts

I don't have much bandwidth to work with (boss is thrifty!)
    I feel your pain...
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 24, 2007, 01:15 PM
    If you want to allow users to log in, and have sortof like a community, you could try installing PHPnuke. It's not really for beginners, but it isn't too advanced. It's just basically uploading it to your host, and setting up a database. The directions aer pretty good, too, and there are lots of modules out on the web for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

Website Design [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to create a website and I am stuck with the overall design. I don't know whether to use CSS or plain tables. Is there any software apart from Macromedia that can the task easier?

Why does a website page blanks out [ 2 Answers ]

If you click on a website page to log into it and it just goes blank what is wrong? The website has been visited before. The username to log onto everything else is fine but, in the library section it will not let you log on. The page will disappear. Others have been able to log on and have no...

How to design a web page [ 1 Answers ]

How can I design a web site or page?

View more questions Search