Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbanta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 05:15 AM
    Can we buy the home we are renting if it's been forclosed in wa state?
    We are renting a home that went into foreclosure. We sent in an offer but never heard back from the landlord of the bank. It has now been foreclosed and they said we must move out even though we want to buy it an have been prequalified. Their rep said we must move before they can sell to us. We are in WA state. Is this true? What can we do to stay and purchase this home?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2010, 05:25 AM
    Whose rep? Who is "they"? I've never heard of having to move out before they can sell to you. I would question that.

Are you sure the foreclosure has been finalized? Was an auction held? You do have 90 days to move after the foreclosure is finalized, so they can't push you out. How long ago did you submit an offer?
    pbanta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 05:29 AM

It was a real estate agent for the mortgage company. Yes, I'm sure it's been foreclosed. Our offer was submitted about 6 mo. Ago; it would have been a short sale. They canceled the auction twice.

Jul 29, 2010, 07:36 AM

Ok, so the mortgage lender is now the owner. I would go back to the rep and tell them, that if you have to move, the expenses of moving will force you to rescind your offer. If they will not accept your offer, then let you know now and you will start looking for a new place and be out within the 90 days allowed.

If he comes back and reiterates that you have to move first, ask him what rule or law requires this. Or ask to speak to his supervisor or someone who works for the lender.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pbanta View Post
    ... Yes, I'm sure it's been foreclosed. ... it would have been a short sale. ...
    You are contradicting yourself. If it was a short sale the foreclosure wouldn't have been completed.

Quote Originally Posted by pbanta View Post
    It was a real estate agent for the mortgage company. ...
    I'm suspecting the agent has some sort of a vested interest in selling it to someone but you. Perhaps he doesn't get a full commission if the property is sold to the current occupant.

Copy your offer to everybody involved. And talk to them in person as well.

Jul 29, 2010, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You are contradicting yourself. If it was a short sale the foreclosure wouldn't have been completed.
    I think you misunderstood. The way I read it, the offer made by the OP would have constituted a short sale. Not that there was a short sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a forclosed home [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out if the home I am renting is in foreclosure?

I believe there is a way to buy a forclosed home just by paying the back taxes on it. [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard on infomercials and various shows that there is a way to own a forclosed home just by paying the back taxes on it. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to learn how to buy these homes. What legal ways do I take this up? Who do I have to talk to? Who do I pay rather then buying it...

The home I'm renting has been forclosed on. [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a home through property management. I was notified by the bank today that it has been forclosed on. I was never notified by property management or the landlord. What are my rights?

The house in which I am renting is being forclosed on! [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting an apartment in a triple decker in Brockton, Massachusetts. We have been having feelings about a foreclosure happening and today we got confirmation. The landlord was served with a notice of a foreclosure on August 27. I want to know what will happen to me? Do I pay him rent for the...

How do I buy a cheap forclosed or bank owned home? [ 3 Answers ]

I need help my husband and I are just starting to look for a house in the area and we wanted to look at foreclosed and bank owned first. How do we go about looking at them and even buying them? We live in Kentucky and I don't know what the rules are about this if anybody knows please help......

View more questions Search