Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aparn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 04:47 AM
    I am 57 years old recently I had root canal treatment. Tenderness and sensitvity reocurring. Please give me the possible causes.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 05:15 AM
    I've had two root canals and was told sensitivity and tenderness are normal for up to a month after the procedure. If this persists go back to your dentist.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Hi, aparn!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved and edited your question a little, that you had posted in Introductions as a response to someone else's introduction, to this topic area so that it will get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer the question that you are asking. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

This site doesn't work the same way that a chat room does.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

I can see that you have already received a response as a result of your question being moved, though.

Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aparn
    I am 57 years old recently i had root canal treatment. Tenderness and sensitvity reocurring. Please give me the possible causes.

It can vary - I had a root canal followed by endodontic surgery in November 2006. The tooth has been a problem ever since. The endodontist checks it every 6 months and has pretty much no explanation for the occasional discomfort.

My husband had a root canal earlier that year, never had a problem or complication. He said the pain in his wallet was worse than the pain in his tooth!

Endodontist tells me "sometimes it takes time." The discomfort sort of comes and goes.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 07:30 PM
    There could still be residual infection, you may need an antibiotic to clear it up or the tooths root could be cracked. I'd suggest you see your dentist and have him/her check it with an x-ray and "tooth sleuth" (crack finder).
    kaetia Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Endodontic work can be very tricky to get right. If the canal wasn't fully 'flushed out' there may still be some infection in the tooth. A trip to the dentist for some antibacs may help, but if the problem persits you may need some more root canal work.
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie
    There could still be residual infection, you may need an antibiotic to clear it up or the tooths root could be cracked. I'd suggest you see your dentist and have him/her check it with an xray and "tooth sleuth" (crack finder).

When you say tooth sleuth - is that specialized testing or something? I've been on and off antibiotics and both the Dentist and Endodontist keep x-raying and telling me these things take time -

What should I ask for?
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Judy,
    A tooth sleuth is a plastic instrument that the dentist uses to check for cracks. He/she will place one side on all cusps (one at a time) and the other side right in the middle of the tooth. You will be instructed to bite hard and if, on release you feel discomfort the tooth is cracked.
    Root canal teeth will often crack beyond repair and need to be removed.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
    LOL Judy... it won't cause THAT much discomfort!
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
    LOL Judy...it won't cause THAT much discomfort!

I still remember the little electric zapper machine which came with this dialogue:

"So, is it this tooth? So is it that tooth? How about this -"

"Somebody peel Judy off the ceiling, please."
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
    LMAO... Don't you just love the current (pardon the pun) technology in dentistry??
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
    LMAO...Don't you just love the current (pardon the pun) technology in dentistry????

Bad, bad pun - go stand in the corner.

(I do notice that the Dentist always stands a distance from me and my flailing arms while giving my teeth the zap test.)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Judy - At least you are brave enough to give your dentist a run for your money! I am trying to picture the above described scenerio...
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Judy,
    Perhaps you should ask your dentist to start the "zap" test at 0 and work UP to 10, not start at 10 and work down.:p
    OK... I'll go to the corner now:rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

Root canal [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal and the tooth needs a crown, but I am petrified of the dentist. The tooth never had pain until the dentist touched my tooth two years ago. Now the tooth has pain every now and then. The other night that same tooth had pain, but the pain was gone in the morning. The next...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

Drill bit broke during root canal treatment? [ 2 Answers ]

Had 1st stage of root canal treatment, Dentist at end of visit told me drill bit broke and was in tooth but not to worry. 2nd visit had another x-ray so she could see drill bit and she spent visit trying to remove at my cost. She said she could not remove. She gave me 3 options.Pull tooth out ,go...

View more questions Search