Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annette64628 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Can a pension be garnished?
    Last night a deputy served papers to my mother on an account of my fathers (he is now in a rest home with alzheimers and not competent to sign anything), my mother is not named in the suit and is not on the account. Is his pension subject to garnishment? The rest home gets most of it now, along with state help to pay for his care. We live in Missouri
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 07:17 PM
    If his only income is social security, no they cannot touch that. If it is a pension, yes they can.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Hello Annette:

The devil is in the details.

Why was your mother served something for your father? What is the debt for? Why isn't your mother part of the suit? Were they married at the time? Is Mo a community property state? Will they throw him out of the home if they stop getting his pension? Is there marital property – a home perhaps? Is the judgment for a huge amount?

Help us to help you.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by annette64628
    Last night a deputy served papers to my mother on an account of my fathers (he is now in a rest home with alzheimers and not competent to sign anything), my mother is not named in the suit and is not on the account. Is his pension subject to garnishment? The rest home gets most of it now, along with state help to pay for his care. We live in Missouri

The 3 types of service are direct/personal service (which apparently cannot be accomplished because your father is not legally competent - if this is the case - and so your mother was served; substitute service - they cannot find your father and serve a competent adult on his behalf; and nail and mail, which is not the case here). I don't know why your mother was served but it has to be one of the first two reasons.

And, yes, his pension can be garnisheed but SS Disability (which I would assume he collects if he is unable to work or retired) cannot.

Is this a debt in your father's name alone?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Certain pensions, such as social security and disability, are not subject to garnishment. Check with the administration of the pension in question to be sure. Also investigate whether the fact that your father is disabled and requires convalescent care could have any bearing on making his income exempt from garnishment.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Certain pensions, such as social security and disability, are not subject to garnishment. Check with the administration of the pension in question to be sure. Also investigate whether or not the fact that your father is disabled and requires convalescent care could have any bearing on making his income exempt from garnishment.

I don't know - under the Law are SS and Disability plan income considered pensions? I thought you could garnishee pensions but not benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Widow pension in US [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I'm Spanish and I'm married to an American citizen. We are living in Colorado and I have a US resident card and a social security number. As he has been working for the government, if he dies before me as I am his wife I will receive a widow pension from the government. The thing is that we...

Her pension vs no pension [ 1 Answers ]

My friends is getting divorced and being sued for infidelity. His wife has a great teachers pension. What percent do you think he may be entitled to. The point is they have 2 houses and land, but she is the bread winner. He wants to keep the primary home. They live in NY. I doubt the charge...

Pension cheques [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Could anyone advise me regarding what protection old age pension cheques have from creditors. e.g.. Can my pension cheque have liens placed against it or any other collection techniques? Thanks for your help.

Pension expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is this the correct way to determine pension expense? Service cost + interest cost - actual return on plan assets

20 vs 30 yr retirement pension [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, our department has a 50% at 20 yrs, 60% at 30 yrs government pension with a 8.5% contribution. Our union just turned down a 50% at 20yrs, earning 2% each year thereafter to a maximum of 70% at 30 yrs. To get this, we were asked to pay an additional .5% (total 9%). Were they crazy for...

View more questions Search