Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoity Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Restrictions on moving a circuit breaker box?
    I am considering constructing a walk-in closet in what is currently hallway space in my home. One of the walls that would form the interior of the new closet currently holds a circuit breaker box. I don't want to have a circuit breaker in a closet where access could be blocked, so building this closet would require relocating this box. Are there any restrictions I should be aware of that would make moving a circuit breaker to another wall impractical?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Code really has none on the move, it does require the panel to be moved as panels are not allowed in closets or bathrooms, some states don't allow panels under stairs. May be best to check with local codes, as they may have their own restrictions.

Use a large junction box, or even better 4x4 or 6x6 wireway (or wire trough) to splice all the branch cables. Be sure the junction box cover is accessible, the cover can be located in the closet, or behind an access panel.

Try to get located on an interior wall to allow easy future cable additions.
    waterdoctor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Can you upgrade a 100 amp service to a 150 or200 using the same box, and just changing the guts inside..
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2006, 03:24 PM
    A 100A service will have size 2AWG supply conductors from the meter base.

You will need supply conductors that are sized to handle the increased current. The simple answer is NO.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Technically, no, since the interior is an assembly with the box, and doing what you suggest will violate the UL listing of the new panelboard.

Only in a very difficult situation, like a panel box embedded in masonry, would an inspector allow the practice of leaving the box and just changing the interior.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 8, 2006, 09:41 AM
    In the past, panels were ordered by selecting a box, the internal bus work and the breakers. All were ordered independently. This was troublesome for the poor designers. Now, panels are ordered as complet units and even have standard package of breakers.

You may be able to replace the bus work and breakers in the box to increase the amperage of the mains, but, unfortunately, you are still left with the original supply conductor.
    ColGrayBeard Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 09:12 AM
    I would leave the old box in place an add another box. You can add additional branch circuits from the other box.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ColGrayBeard
    I would leave the old box in place an add another box. You can add additional branch circuits from the other box.
    Hi ColGrayBeard,
    As ktRussel says, the breaker panel cannot remain in the closet when it encloses the panel access and possible fire hazard that hanging clothes will cause.

One thought that has not been asked is... Can the panel be rotated to face the other side of the wall? (i.e. bedroom, utility room, living room etc.) nm
    ColGrayBeard Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
    There are two questions running together here:
    Question 1: Circuit breaker panel in the closet - I agree with everyone - code says it can't go there. Rotating it to the wall behind is a great idea - if it is practical.

Question 2: Can you upgrade a 100 amp service to a 150 or 200 using the same box, and just changing the guts inside.. Depending on the box - maybe. Some older Square D boxes could have some upgrades. I don't know about the others. You will still need to change the wiring from the meter base. I would add another box and run additional branch circuits from the new box. Leave the old box in place.

Mar 8, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ColGrayBeard
    There are two questions running together here:
    Question 1: Circuit breaker panel in the closet - I agree with everyone - code says it can't go there. Rotating it to the wall behind is a great idea - if it is practical.

Question 2: Can you upgrade a 100 amp service to a 150 or 200 using the same box, and just changing the guts inside....? Depending on the box - maybe. Some older Square D boxes could have some upgrades. I don't know about the others. You will still need to change the wiring from the meter base. I would add another box and run additional branch circuits from the new box. Leave the old box in place.
    Gutting a subpanel or panelboard must not alter the original manufactured part other than breaker loading and wiring interface and grounding bonding terminal installation.

Forget 150 amp panelboard. Costs more than a 200amp.

If done under permit, expect to get tagged on a gut job unless all parts are UL qualified for the installed OEM enclosure.

Sorry. :) nm
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Changing the interior of any panel is not allowed due to UL listings and restrictions.

However there are exceptions to all rules. If modifying a piece of electrical gear is more practical than replacing, A UL rep will visit the jobsite to review the installation and apply a Field UL Label, making the gear UL and NEC compliant.

The base fee for a visit by a UL rep is $1500.00

This obviously is only practical for large industrial equipment.

A local inspector may allow a panel to be modified due to unusual circumstances. but very rarely, if ever.

As far as location of panels, bathrooms and closets are off limits, otherwise as long as the front of a panel will have at least 30 inch wide clearance, a panel can go anywhere else.

Mar 8, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Changing the interior of any panel is not allowed due to UL listings and restrictions.
    As far as location of panels, bathrooms and closets are off limits, otherwise as long as the front of a panel will have at least 30 inch wide clearance, a panel can go anywhere else.
    I am thinking accessible attic. With clearance provisions of course.

Nm:)
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Readily accessible only, which means stairs, not a ladder.

Mar 8, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Readily accessible only, which means stairs, not a ladder.
    Could be a pull down, by any chance?
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 02:10 AM
    Yes.

Mar 9, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Yes.
    You are an expert! Nm:)
    gunterh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 09:42 AM

Old thread, but I just found it.

I'm planning on moving our breaker, as the previous owners didn't mind having the circuit breaker in the shower, and me being fussy and all. I see the junction box comment, so I can "splice" both the in and out lines and run to a less showery location? Can they both (in/out) be in the same junction box? (doesn't seem likely, but what do I know). Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
    If the "IN" is directly from the meter, with no breaker at the beginning, then no, this is utility line and must be separated from any load wires.

Utility lines from a meter with no breaker are only allowed to run into a home a very short distance. Code states "immediately", inspectors often allow no more than 10 feet of cable

Panel in the shower?

Please post a picture of this.

Jun 22, 2010, 02:08 PM

It really is this close to the shower head.

This is a rural home, so we have a pole in the backyard, where the meter is mounted. There is a shut off, otherwise I'd not get anywhere near this project. The lines run from there to the house (~20ft), then down from the crest of the house to the bathroom. I likely could pull the lines up into the semi-finished room upstairs and not put in a junction box, but looking for options.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2010, 02:09 PM

Whoops looks like the picture didn't post. Let's try the direct approach.

the farm on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm attempting to do something that I've never tried before, Install a breaker switch. I'm using 12 Gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker switch. I definitely need some guidance in this. Is there anybody out there who can help me?

Circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was...

Circuit Breaker Won't Switch To On [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Today, I realized that one of my condensing units isn't working properly. So I was turning the breakers to both the A/C downstair and upstair units on and off periodically during the day to figure out the problem. Nothing has been solved on that end, but...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old farm with a water well. It was checked last summer with the pump company's pump (I assume they used their pump because there was no power at the property then) and it pumped well (15 gpm). Now I have electricity and tried to power up the pump. The fuses are the old...

View more questions Search