Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peaceofmind20 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 06:25 PM
    A few questions about arrest warrant/search warrant in Ontario, Canada
    If there is an arrest/search warrant issued for you, what address do they raid? (as in how do they find out where you live... driver's license?) Say for example, you moved out of your parents home and live by yourself... are they allowed to raid parents home (previous address)?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 06:28 PM

Depends on how the warrant is written, what address is on it. If your parents' address is what the Police have, yes, that's where they will look for you. After your parents get over the trauma, they'll probably give the Police the correct address - or be charged with harboring a criminal.

Aug 24, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Depends on how the warrant is written, what address is on it. If your parents' address is what the Police have, yes, that's where they will look for you. After your parents get over the trauma, they'll probably give the Police the correct address - or be charged with harboring a criminal.
    What if I moved out of my parents home from an argument and they don't know where I live?

No offence but my previous question wasn't answered properly. Where do they get the address to raid? Driver's license? What if I moved out? Can they still raid my old address?

Aug 24, 2010, 06:40 PM

This question is for education purpose only and does not reflect any current situation I am under.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 06:48 PM

Right, I'm sure it's a homework project.

I have no idea where the Police will get the address they use - maybe from a Drivers License, maybe from an auto registration, arrest record, background check. Maybe somebody knows you. Maybe they have an informant. It's impossible to say. If they know where your parents are they will "assume" your parents know how to reach you.

If you want more specific answers, ask the Police.

Aug 24, 2010, 07:23 PM

If you turn yourself in beforehand, would they still raid your house?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 07:29 PM

Hello p:

If they want to arrest you, and they ALREADY did, and they still haven't executed the search warrant, sure they can go to your house or your parents house, or your car, or your girlfriends house. They don't much care which place they tear up.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 08:08 PM

They will go to the judge with some level of evidence ( someone gives them a tip perhaps) and the judge will sign the search warrant, there are various types, ones that require them to knock and not to break the door down, and others allow them to break the door down if no one answers.

Also if they really really want you, they start asking around, friends , family and other places.

Often unless you are on the most wanted list, they merely wait for you to renew your license, get stopped for speeding or something like that. Since a warrart shows up on job background searches, it stops you from getting any better jobs also

Aug 28, 2010, 06:20 AM

OK say you moved out of your parents home to buddy of yours... and you changed the address of your driver's license, etc... are they going to break into your parent's home or the new address?

Aug 28, 2010, 06:21 AM

As in legally, are they allowed to break into another person's house (even though I am located somewhere else)?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 06:26 AM

Hello again, p:

I KNOW you said it was for educational purposes, but I don't believe you. The bottom line is you're not giving us enough information to give you an educated answer..

The best I can do is this: IF whatever they thought you did, was VIOLENT, they'll break in ANYWHERE to find you. IF, on the other hand, you ripped of a CD from your corner bodega, they ain't going to raid, or break in, or even look for you.

excon
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 06:42 AM

I'm confused - you keep referring to "I" - didn't you say, "This question is for education purpose only and does not reflect any current situation I am under."

If the warrant is issued it is issued for a specific address based on whatever "proof" the Police have that either you are at that address OR there is "evidence" at that address.

So, yes, they are legally allowed to break into any house if the warrant contains that address.
    mumfy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
    An arrest warrant and search warrant are different. A search warrant is issued to search a specific address for evidence of a crime, so whatever address is on the warrant is what address they will search. An arrest warrant is to locate and arrest the person, so they will go to the address they have on file for the person. If it's your parent's house and your parents aren't helpful they will likely enter and search the house for you. If they say you moved out and are located at ____ address, they will leave and go find you at the new address, and likely do a search there for any evidence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recovery Warrant, Civil Warrant or Detainer Warrant? [ 4 Answers ]

I closed on the purchase of a house on April 27th. The seller notified a roommate (who was "not" a tenant) to move on April 4th. He moved his furniture on April 12 but left 4 broken down vehicles, and 2 garages wall-to-wall with things. He is dragging his feet on moving because he's angry at the...

What exactly happens when there is an arrest warrant issued for you? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Toronto, Ontario (Canada). I want to know exactly what happens after an arrest warrant is issued for you. Typically, how many police officers would be at your door? Do they have the right to break the door and enter if you don't answer (for example, sleeping)? Are ETF (Emergency Task...

How do I find out if I have an arrest warrant in ontario,canada [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, is there a way of finding out if I have an arrest warrant in ontario,canada without having to call the police? I had one issued over 20 years ago for unpaid traffic fines and my mother said she paid them off along time ago but now states she is unsure if she did in fact paid them off. I want to...

Warrant For Arrest [ 4 Answers ]

Can the police in Ont, CAN put up a warrant for your arrest, if they SUSPECT you for theft over $5000?

Arrest warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a warant for "failure to appear on suspended license. Can I fly to another state{S.C.} without being arrested at the airport in detroit ?

View more questions Search