Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twospiritsmssrs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2013, 09:26 PM
    Mississippi state laws on indictments for incarcerated person
    I have a friend who was arrested in marion county , Mississippi for sales charge first offense. She has been incarcerated for nine months and still has not been indicted! How long do they have to indict her before she can be released?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 24, 2013, 12:00 AM
    I believe it falls under this:
    Rule 13.9 Dismissal
    13.9c- If no indictment has been returned by the grand jury within 6 months after the filing of the complaint, or before the discharge of the 2nd regularly scheduled grand jury in the County in which the complaint has been filed, whichever occurs later, the prosecution shall be deemed abandoned and the clerk shall enter a dismissal of the prosecution, unless the prosecuting attorney shows the court good cause why the complaint should not be dismissed.

Do you have any idea how often the grand jury convenes, or if the DA was able to show good cause to extend it?
    When you say 'sales' do you mean drugs? It sounds like they are still trying to get to the bigger fish in some operation?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
    Hello two:

That's the wrong question.. The state has 72 hours to CHARGE someone with a crime, or let them go. Therefore, she IS already charged, and the prosecutor is looking to bolster his case by seeking an indictment too.

Since she has been charged, but not TRIED yet, the question you should be asking, is why hasn't her lawyer filed for her release due to the speedy trial provision. Or, in the alternative, I'll bet she waived her speedy trial rights...

But, those are the salient questions.

excon
    current pert

Aug 24, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Yes, I've seen advice on prison blogs to NOT go for the speedy trial rights.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2013, 11:09 AM
    Hello again, joy:
    Yes, I've seen advice on prison blogs to NOT go for the speedy trial rights.
    If you're going to trial, it's good advice. Witness's disappear.. Memories fade. Most lawyers, as a matter of course, have their clients waive them.

It wouldn't be something I'd do, or recommend. Just the idea of waiving ANY rights is noxious to me.

Excon
    current pert

Aug 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
    Does someone stick a waiver under your nose saying sign or else? Can you just do nothing, and then demand a speedy trial after a long incarceration?
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
    Hello again, joy:
    Does someone stick a waiver under your nose saying sign or else? Can you just do nothing, and then demand a speedy trial after a long incarceration?
    Yes, yes, and yes. Well, they don't say or else..

In THIS case, if she hasn't waived them, she CERTAINLY can demand to be tried immediately or the charges be dropped. But, there's stuff going on here that neither we, or the OP know about.

Excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Howard county laws on incarcerated person signing birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Can the father of my baby sign the birth certificate of our daughter while being incarcerated at the Howard County Jail?

Mississippi child abandonment laws [ 2 Answers ]

I have twin 4 year old daughters that haven't seen their father in 3.5 years. I want to file abandonment charges on him so I can sign custody over to my mother and step-father who are much more able to take care of my daughters.

Abandonment laws in Mississippi [ 14 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the abandonment laws are in Mississippi?my 5 year old daughters biological father hasn't seen her since we went to court for custody when she was around a year and a half old. After I left him, he decided to hurt me he would take me to court and sue me for full custody. He was...

Repossession laws in Mississippi [ 1 Answers ]

I am just curious to know if I can be charged with Grand Theft Auto, if my car is up for repossession and if so how long do I have?

Mississippi Property abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any information on Mississippi property abandonment laws?

View more questions Search