Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homebrewr1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Murray Snow Blower Belt Slips Off
    We replaced the drive belt on a Murray 8hp 2 stage snow thrower but it slips off immediately, even when I just pull the starter and rotate the pulley. It's the right belt according to the owner's manual, but it seems perhaps I could get away with a 1" smaller length and still not load the bearings, perhaps this is the only problem? There's no alignment adjustment that I can see, and the owners manual doesn't even touch the subject other than listing the belt number. What's really unusual is that the belt didn't ever slip before, but nothing was moved during the changeover. I've been repairing just about everything for decades, but this foolish thing's got me stumped!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Have you grabbed a hold of the pulley and check it for wobble? The only other alignment on the blower is the engine mounts to the frame via elongated bolt slots. You can loosen all 4 bolts and slide the engine in one direction or the other to get better alignment. That should not be necessary however unless the engine slipped in the first place. I suspect the pulley.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 11, 2008, 11:07 AM
    My father had the same problem and it was the bearings for the main oger(The shaft that has a pulley on it and is attached to the blower) I hope you know what I mean. Just a thought but I am not expert.

Mar 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Have you grabbed a hold of the pulley and check it for wobble? The only other alignment on the blower is the engine mounts to the frame via elongated bolt slots. You can loosen all 4 bolts and slide the engine in one direction or the other to get better alignment. That should not be necessary however unless the engine slipped in the first place. I suspect the pulley.
    Howdy Ball,

First thing I had looked at was engine adjustment when we changed the belts last year, but this one didn't look like the plate was slotted. The good news is I just spent a couple hours out there (in the shop this time, no hunching over the thing out in the cold on a crappy day!) and fixed it.

There were actually a couple problems to deal with. First, the shaft is a hair too short which didn't allow for the sheaves to be properly installed- the front one that drives the auger couldn't even be seated right, the key could never even slide onto the keyway! They also had placed spacers in such an order that the drive sheaves were offset, hence the pulley trying to walk off. I switched the spacers around, reset the alignment on the idler pulley so it wasn't askew- another contributing factor- and rethought the layout for the front (auger) sheave assembly. With a few minor adjustments everything went together nicely, all that's left is to adjust the slack in the belt for the auger!

Thanks for your rapid response!

- Pete

Mar 11, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish2008
    My father had the same problem and it was the bearings for the main oger(The shaft that has a pulley on it and is attached to the blower) I hope you know what I mean. Just a thought but I am not expert.
    Good thought. This baby's a few years old, but hasn't really seen a lot of hard use so the bearings are all in good shape. In fact, it wasn't even my machine- it was just given to my by my neighbor, who would rather go buy a brand new one! I usually do most of the driveways in the neighborhood with my machines (single stage for most of the time, a nice Ariens for the big stuff) so the Murray really got off easy. I saw the alignment problem as soon as I got the covers off last year, and just never really got into it until now.

Mar 12, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Well I am really glade you got the problem and got it fixed. I am no expert like I mentioned in my last post but you never know. It's nice to see new people get back to us regarding there issues. Cheers to you. I hope you enjoy the site as much as us all. I will add that ballengerb1 is an expert in this field. Hope you use this site more often.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Scottish, get your welder yet? Which one did you go with?

Mar 12, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Scottish, get your welder yet?? Which one did you go with?
    Still thinking about it. I have put allot of thought into it and I think I will be going with the Lincoln 140. Thanks for asking.
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2009, 08:57 PM

Wow!, I was on my old arien all day today.. same problem! New drive belts (dual) keep walking off the engine pully when I engauge the drive.. the only adjustments were either the one nut on the threaded drive linkage and that didn't work either way.. the other was lossening the pully on the engine shaft and moving it in which didn't work either.. I'm stumped! By the way this arien 2 stage has a two season old replacement engine.. so maybe this is the problem I need to look into tomorrow>?
    SAL654321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 01:31 PM
    the Murray 5.0 it is nothing but problems , the belt will run off the ager will run off , I am not laying . I bought this blower November 2009 brand new from sears , the first 4 : snow wee had here in queens New York I did not push it 20 feet and the ager ran out of it , why did ran out? because it grab a pebble stone half inch x half inch from the brick walk way I was to clean , after sears had it till spring of 2010 I got it back repaired no charge thank god for or I would have toled them to keep it if there was an even $25. Charge , now this year we had had a big snow here in queens wee had e total of 18 to 26 : in some places , the snow started foaling heavy at 6 pm so to make it easy next morning I went out at 8 pm to clean about the 4" snow on ground , and.. . you guessed it the belt ran out and this time destroyed the tensioner cable pullback spring and the side cower ,
    overall this machine sucks shame on you the maker MDT. & THE STORES THAT SELL IT SAL MUSTAFA
    SAL654321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 02:44 PM
    To your problem first make sure all is tight motors pulley, agers pulley, also no play on both ends of the ager shaft and end bearings , up and down , or more then 1/4 side ways if all good put a straight edge on the ager pulley like 9 to 3 o clock and see that the edge lays on the motors pulley same , they must it is like making sure the motor pulley and the ager are square , and tight, if all that checks good the next to do is make sure the guide and the tensioner pulley are ok and not bent.
    T he way you describe the problem i think ager end play is too much ( warn out bearings or too much end play . Good luck sal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belt diagram murray 17 hp 42 inch belt [ 4 Answers ]

I boke the primary belt on my murray 17 hp 42 inch mower and I can't seem to remember how it went on,please help.:o

Murray snow Blower [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a Murray Snow Blower - 2 years old. I believe it's an 8 or 10 HP. It doesn't move forward in low gear. I have to push it and then the wheels move a little bit. The higher gears seem to work fine. The snowblower part of this works fine as well. Jungman7

Murray Snow Thrower Euro Series how to adjust v-belt [ 1 Answers ]

V-belt for the thrower impeller is slack. How do I adjust this?

Ultra by murray snow blower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Looking for impeller for ultra murray model f2484020,code5212,ser002313337309 8hp,hmsk80, any help thank you greg

Snow blower not picking up snow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Noma 5.0 HP snow blower that is not working correctly. The shears are not turning and picking up the snow. I've checked the shear pins, but they seem to be in good condition. What else should I check? Thanks

View more questions Search