Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paisane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Oil furnace blower motor squirrel cage
    I need to replace my furnace blower motor squirrel cage. This is the mechanism that moves air throughout my house for air conditioning or heat. My current squirrel cage is currently out of balance & needs to be replaced. I think my blower motor turns counter clockwise. There is a difference between a squirrel cage for a counter clockwise blower motor & a squirrel cage for a clockwise blower motor. On the squirrel that is currently on the blower motor the fins seem to be facing up (if that makes sense).
    When I look at the squirrel cage when it is being turned by the blower motor, it looks to me that the squirrel is turning left (counter clockwise). In making calls for a new squirrel cage I am asked if the blower motor is turning clockwise or counter clockwise. What would happen if I installed a squirrel cage that is for a blower motor that rotates clockwise with a squirrel cage for a blower motor that turns counter clockwise?:confused: The squirrel cage will cost over $100 so I really need to get the correct squirrel cage for my blower motor. Can anyone help?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Note that rotation of a motor is defined as "Rotation Facing Shaft" as this data shows: KingSolar.com: No. 3M657 Dayton Permanent Split Capacitor Enclosed Air-Over Cradle Mount Motor - 2.3 Amps, 1/8 horsepower

Air is generally sucked into the center of a squirrel cage and exhausted out. The cage is directional. The cage doesn't work very well the other way.
    fixmenow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Easiest way for a home owner to match up is with make and serial # of heating unit or remove entife fan assembly for transportation to supplier for your brand
    mikey007 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 05:07 PM
    First cut power to unit then unplug&draw a wire diagram from motor to transfer box& then move box out of way&then remove two screws on front side of squirrel cage box.The case will slide out with motor& squirrel cage still attatched.I just did this to mine--cost for new squirrel cage was less than 50 bucks.

Find an electric motor shop in your area--they will test fan motor also&put new cage in housing unit.

I live Birmingham Al.----B&D Electric is who I used

This really was simple--make sure you draw the wiring diagram---------Hope you Find This Helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower motor [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Climatrol Furnace, and it stopped working. I called a Heating Co, and the technician said that that the motor was bad, it's and old unit with Climatrol no longer in business. I might be able to find a used motor, but I really need a new furnace. After he left I was reaching in and I was...

Gas Furnace Blower Motor [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old Rheem gas furnace. My fan blower motor stopped working. I had Sears order me a new one. The installer walked away, giving up because he couldn't get the old motor out of the housing. I got it out and installed the new one myself. Everything turns freely. I made the furnace turn on and...

Furnace blower motor [ 3 Answers ]

What size blower motor do I nedd for carrier furnace 3592x19059?

Furnace Blower Motor [ 8 Answers ]

I am replacing my blower motor. My question is when replacing it do I have to get exactly what the label has on it because I'm having trouble finding the exact numbers online? I am looking for 4HP, 115V, 60HZ, 6.3A, 1050/850RPM. It was made by Franklin Electric unfortunately it looks like they...

Furnace blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

A friend asked help about his furnace blower emitting a screeching sound during operation and then just stopped. I went over and tried to rotate the blower by hand - resistance to free rotation was present. Removed the blower assembly and dismantled motor. No lubrication on both motor bushings....

View more questions Search