Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2005, 02:14 PM
    copper pipe minimum depth in wall?
    Howdy all,
    Is there a minimum depth that copper pipe must be installed within walls? In other words, minimum clearance between the pipe and the drywall?

I know there is for electrical lines, so somebody hanging a picture doesn't drive the nail in and electrocute themselves.

I have an installation situation where it'll be very easy for me to install the pipe about 1/2" deep from the drywall.. or, alternatively, about 50 times harder for me to get it to the other side of the existing pipes, making the depth about 2" (in a 2x6 framed wall).

Thanks for the advice! I'll wait to hear before I solder them in.

- james
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2005, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamlove
    Howdy all,
    Is there a minimum depth that copper pipe must be installed within walls? In other words, minimum clearance between the pipe and the drywall?

I know there is for electrical lines, so somebody hanging a picture doesn't drive the nail in and electrocute themselves.

I have an installation situation where it'll be very easy for me to install the pipe about 1/2" deep from the drywall.. or, alternatively, about 50 times harder for me to get it to the other side of the existing pipes, making the depth about 2" (in a 2x6 framed wall).

Thanks for the advice! I'll wait to hear before I solder them in.

- james

Hi James,

I go for door #1. Notch the studs 1/2", run your copper, cover it up and fotget it. Although to be on the safe side I'd cover the notches with nail plates so a drywall screw doesn't hit it when you install the drywall. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Broke off copper pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

How to disconnect copper elbo from wall feed PVC [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new water softener. If I could rotate the existing copper elbow feed, for old softener, it would make the new installation much neater. How can I rotate an elbow connected into PVC that has a clamp?

View more questions Search