Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjgg02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
    1999 Ford Taurus
    Vehicle intermittently down shifts (feels like Torque converter clutch disengageing)
    At highway speeds. Transmission was replaced issue still remains. FORD/Mecury dealers seem lost. Any Ideas No trouble codes.

Thank you
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
    I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, with the 3.0 L Duratec engine and AX4N transaxle. I was somewhat disappointed in how the transaxle performed with regular Mercon V ATF. When I dropped and cleaned the pan, changed the filter, and refilled with Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF the performance improved dramatically. No more odd downshifts and performance and mileage has improved. Even my wife can tell the dramatic improvement in shift quality. People make a mistake, in my opinion, not using state-of-the-art synthetic lubricants in their vehicles. You can't afford not to use them. Install a B&M transmission drain pan plug to facilitate changing ATF more often.

Synthetic ATF is the key to getting maximum life and performance from your ATX. They run much cooler and stay super clean inside. Today's electro-mechanical transaxles hate dirt, varnish, and sludge. Change fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. It was amazing how much crud formed in the bottom of the pan, when it was first changed at 29,000 miles.

ATXs are the weak link in modern-day FWD cars. The situation is getting worse, not better. It's particularly bad on imported cars, where it's best to stick with manual transmissions. Import manual transmissions, however, are very good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 ford taurus won't shift into gear [ 8 Answers ]

The car will not go into gear, the auto shift lever feels different and has no resistance. It is my nephews car and I have not seen it so I am using his info. Does the car have mechanical linkage to trany or is it electric? Is it possibly just an electrical problem or do we have a smoked...

Starter on a Ford Taurus [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone tell me is there a way to get your starter to work so I can get my car home or to a garage. I know it's the starter because I don't even get a click with it when I turn the key and my battery is still very strong. Is there not a way to bang the starter to get it to go? Please help...

1999 Taurus Transmission Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for some help dealing with a 1999 Taurus LX Flex Fuel. In slow/bumper to bumper traffic, or at any slow cruise, such as looking for a parking spot, the transmission jerks between gears, as if it is looking for the gear it needs to be in. Seems to be shifting between 1st and 2nd gear....

91 ford Taurus [ 3 Answers ]

I have No Power going to the Starter Headlights or Brake Lights is there a grounding strap or something that could be the problem PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search