Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Hot Water Temperature Surge
    Does anyone have any idea why my hot water would suddenly be hotter (quite a bit hotter) than usual? No one has touched the water heater (I don't even know where the temperature setting is). We've had quite a few electric surges lately, but I can't imagine why this would have anything to do with it. Thanks.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Oct 4, 2008, 08:21 PM

Check the condition of your anode rod? If it is severely encrusted with hard water scale it may be building up excess heat? Not sure of this. I am a layman. If you have a water heater manual, get familiar with it. In the meantime. Be careful if you have elderly, young, or folks who have decreased sensitivity to hot that no one gets burned.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2008, 10:13 PM

Electric water heater? Age?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 09:23 AM

Your thermostat on the electric heater may be failing and not maintaining the setting. The anode would not affect the temp nor would a power surge.
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2008, 08:09 AM

Where is the thermostat located on most water heaters? My water heater is about 3 years old. Also, my manual say that the high temperature limit switch might be activated - but I can't figure out where the switch is?! Should I call a professional?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 12, 2008, 10:21 AM

Make sure you kill the power and even test after you think you are sure. The thermostat is located under a small panel screwed to the side of the tank. The plate is about the size of TV Guide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surge of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a new submerisble pump that is in a dug well. The pump was just replaced and seems to run fine. However, I have been experiencing a surge of water pressure from a solid steady flow to almost a trickle anytime that any water is used, showers, toilets or sinks. I feel like it...

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

Brief surge in water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Lately, when I turn any faucet in my home, there is a brief surge in water pressure that dissipates to a normal flow of water from the faucet after about 1 second. If I close the faucet, wait a few seconds, and then re-open the faucet, the surge does not occur. However, if I wait a few...

Initial surge in water pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

Earlier this week the plumber came to fix the toilets in our house. He did a minor rebuild on two of them (not sure this has anything to do with our problem, but it started as soon as the plumber left). While he was here, he measured the water pressure and told us it was 80psi (same as we'd been...

Toilet water surge [ 2 Answers ]

Randomly through the day our toilet makes this 30 second water surging sound.  When I look in the toilet bowl I see ripples of water thinking it is new water coming in. What can we do?

View more questions Search